Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Addresing Adults

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 39 Replies

How do your children/teens friends address you?  How to do you want to be addressed?

I grewup in a time where no child called an adult by their first name.  It was always mr. or mrs. so and so, or if they were really close to the family Aunt and Uncle so and so.  Sometimes, you had those "modern contemporaries" that inisted that the child call them miss first name.

I would honestly be addressed as mrs last name or at the very least mrs first name.  But no one seems to instill that kind of respectfullness in their kids anymore.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Most kids call me Miss Pam or Aunt Pam (no relation). Some call me Pam. I don't care personally. All of them say yes ma'am and no ma'am. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Mrs. B or Mrs. April...the kids of my closest friend calls me Aunt April.

I wouldn't allow any kids to leave off a title of respect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Miss Ellen.. he has one friend that calls me Miss Christian's mom

Mommy4000
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

They call me Mrs. last name. I personally don't care either way, they could call me Hey You for all I care, as long as they seem respectful in all other aspects, but all of them just call me Mrs. last name. Both my daughters friends, still in elementary, and my sons friends, now in Jr. High.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

By my first name. That's what's common here. All my son's friend's parents go by their first name with my son too.

I actually prefer just going by my first name.

The exception is a mentoring environment. Teachers are Mr... or Ms...., and coaches are Coach Jim or Coach Jo, etc.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Here in Wisconsin it is Mrs. B, Mama B or Mrs and my last name. In Georgia it was Ms Susie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Most of my kids' friends call me Mrs (last name). I'm also fine w/ Miss (first name). There are a few who call me (child's name)'s mom- that's mostly from dd's friends/classmates : )

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Ms. Holly....southern thing, it is common here. My ds' bf calls me by my first name of momma Holly. But he does practically live here half the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
In my Wisconsin city it's my first name. Most of my sons friends start out with Ms last name and then I correct them to my first name. A couple call me Mom or Tyler's Mom. My close friends have always been their first name.

Quoting atlmom2:

Here in Wisconsin it is Mrs. B, Mama B or Mrs and my last name. In Georgia it was Ms Susie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
3 moms liked this
Here it's never Mrs unless its a teacher and I'm glad I MUCH prefer to be called Jen or Mama Jen. I have only had a few kids call me Mrs. S and I have asked them to call me Jen
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)