Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Why does this keep happening?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 52 Replies

NEW UPDATE: We got a email from her social studies teacher about the F on the test & he said that giving a retake she got even less right.  He said our dd is a pleasant young lady, and he does enjoy having her in class. She is always pleasant and respectful to him. But he is at a loss as to what to do in order her to assist her. He is convinced she is capable of doing much better than she is.  This test is over the constitution & she got an F on the quiz given before. What's up with this?? Now what do we think?

UPDATE: Yes, her grades come first. We decided to let her do track, then her usual soccer (that's only 2 days a week) and we have decided to not give her new phone, ipod, new track shoes, & new track back pack till her F's come up (there are 4 F's now). My dilemma is always... if I only go by her final grades (which nothing is lower than a B- currently) as the daily grades go downward esp. with F's on tests & quizzes they go down swiftly. We decided to let her do track as there is after school study hall right before track so she can get help from a teacher or a student (friend) with her work. If we don't let her start track today she will just let her come home everyday & veg in her room & not get the help she needs. She will not be getting her new track shoes, backpack, phone, ipod till the grades are up. What do you think?? Was this a good or bad decision??

My 14 yo dd has an outstanding F on a quiz in Math & a F on a DMR in math, a F in social studies on a test.  She is starting track on Monday & has had these 3 bad grades outstanding for all of last week. IT'S ALWAYS HAVING TO DO WITH GOING OUT FOR SPORTS.  We can handle every other aspect of consequncing. They have not been taken care of & she has till tomorrow to get them up to at least c's before we will let her go out for track.  Does anyone require this on weekly grades (not the final grades)? This is an ongoing pattern that gets rectified then becomes a problem again in a few weeks. My dh & I think sports are important in so... many aspects but grades are MORE important so if she happens to get this all situated (doubtful) should we let her go out for track?  That's our dilemma she does JUST what she needs to do when the going gets tough but she doesn't keep it up. Then she's into the sport which at that point is hard to get her out of (in so... many ways) once she's in.  In high school the school takes care of it before that it's up to the parents.I do believe there are so many parents that just let it slide.

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Here grades come first. However, we use a charter school and their chosen sport is their PE grade so I can't hold that over their head.

If sports are important, hit her in other areas of her life..take away the cell phone, time with friends, free time, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Buggy979
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:28 PM
I have learned to not go but the week. Sorry the final grade to me is what counts. I was obsessed with many oldest dd grades every well that it caused problems. Eventually she always brought them up. So with my other two I just buy the final head at the end.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Yep. We log in and watch the kids grades on a DAILY basis! We are like you: sports are important, but not at the cost of academics. And with our kids it's not a matter of not studying for a test, it's a matter of not doing the work, period. They can pass the tests and quizes, but the homework they like to not do. So, one zero means non participation. 

And it doesn't really take care of itself so well in HS. They get a warning and they have to bring it up within a certain time period. After that they can practice in a practices but not play in a game, then it finally becomes non participation. That can last until the sport ends if the kids know how to work it. We've had to take that into our own hands too or they get to do a WHOLE LOT of nothing until they finally get their butts sat out.  

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's teachers don't always update everything in the online system until near the end of the tri. We will ground if he is behind on assignments, but sports is a good outlet and try not to use that as a punishment unless normal grounds are not working.

MrsBLB
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not take sports away, but would find a way to get the grades up.  Good luck, please keep us posted.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We went by final grade not weekly. 

gonecrazi
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My 16 y/o plays high school football and we watch his grades closely. Playing sports is a privilege not a requirement.

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree

Quoting Barabell:

My son's teachers don't always update everything in the online system until near the end of the tri. We will ground if he is behind on assignments, but sports is a good outlet and try not to use that as a punishment unless normal grounds are not working.

bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:30 AM
It will all be solved for you next year if she doesn't get a handle on it as most high schools don't let kids with Failing grades play and do grade audits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Those dam teens years, I don't know what it is about these teens and their grades because these kids today are very smart...Lazy!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN