Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My daughter doesn't excercise

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
  • 22 Replies
She doesn't want to either, and I guess I can see how it would be easier for her not to. Her school only has gym classes for freshmen and sophomores, and she doesn't drive yet so she can't drive herself to sports. Since my husband and I work and can't drive her either, she hasn't done any sports at her school for years. I sometimes suggest going out jogging or something, but she just doesn't want to and she says she's healthy enough. (she is pretty healthy, she eats well and stays very thin)She just has so many excuses not to do anything active - like how homework and stuff is more important than going out and getting excercise when being strong isn't nearly as important as intelligence in today's world (That's her newest excuse... :/) Do you think this is a big problem? She doens't have any health issues but I wish she would do more to get active. Any advice on how to get her to do more - or what you do with your own kids?
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBLB
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM

When mine were not in sports or other activities, they walked the dogs, played on trampolines, walked with me, etc...   

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It will catch up to her later. What about family walks or playing kickball, baseball, etc as a family? Don't make it optional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I don't think it's a BIG problem, but it's definitely something that you probably should address. Instead of pressuring her to EXERCISE, make her do things that she'd get exercise doing-like walking the dogs, walking to the store, playing OUT of the house. Limit the use of the phone, internet and TV for entertainment so she has to find something else to occupy her time. 

With kids if we pressure them to do something-they are going to do the opposite-unless it suits their current whim. So, you pushing the exercise is probably always going to be something she works around. Get sneaky! 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

My dd wasn't in sports during highschool~ just gym. She found Yoga though and loves it. She doesn't do it as regularly as she did before she graduated. Now work keeps her active.

I agree with those who already suggested making it a family thing. Go for walks together, play tag, kickball, dodge ball, wiffle/T ball, ect. as a family.

gonecrazi
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Walk with her, take the time to talk and catch up. My boys are in sports at school so they stay pretty busy.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
What does you working have to do with her not being in sports? I work full time and my son has done baseball for years. I make it work. I find him rides from other parents on the team. It's very possible. I guess I can see why she makes excuses, you are doing the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quoting Cindy18:

What does you working have to do with her not being in sports? I work full time and my son has done baseball for years. I make it work. I find him rides from other parents on the team. It's very possible. I guess I can see why she makes excuses, you are doing the same thing.

I was confused by that too, Cindy. I work two jobs, and my son is still extremely active in sports and with friends despite being too young to drive yet.

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by that statement. I know I was harsh in my reply but for the OP to complain because her DD is making excuses not to exercise when she did the same thing in her post is very hypocritical to me.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting Cindy18:

I was confused by that too, Cindy. I work two jobs, and my son is still extremely active in sports and with friends despite being too young to drive yet.

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I agree too. I worked Fulltime and went to school yet my son played baseball for 6 years and I only missed 2 games that entire time.

Quoting Cindy18:

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by that statement. I know I was harsh in my reply but for the OP to complain because her DD is making excuses not to exercise when she did the same thing in her post is very hypocritical to me.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting Cindy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I am confused by not playing sports because you work.Our practices are on campus.I don't work and there have been very few games that any of my 4 played in off campus that I didn't ferry multiple kids to the game.There have always been other sahmoms.One of us drives the athletes and the other mom picks up the younger sibs and brings them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN