Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Think It's Fair This Teen Was Suspended For Doing The Right Thing?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
  • 37 Replies

Teen Who Stopped a School Bus Shooting Was Suspended From School for It (VIDEO)

They say no good deed goes unpunished, and that seems to be true for one high school student who reportedly stopped a school bus shooting. Instead of being given an A-plus in Heroism in Life Studies, the 16-year-old was suspended. It all started when the teen was reportedly riding the bus to school in Fort Myers, Florida, when another student took out a gun and aimed it "point blank" at a student he was intending to shoot.

At this point, the student claims he tackled the student and wrestled the gun away from the suspect, a 15-year-old who has been arrested, and disarmed him. Said the student, who remains unidentified:

I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there. Not taking no pity. No doubt he was going to shoot him point blank.

But instead of being hailed as a hero, the teen was automatically suspended for having a "role" in an incident involving a gun. The teen asks the question I'm sure asking myself right now:

How are they going to suspend me for doing the right thing?

Well, apparently the school did, and it's sticking by its story that the teen is suspended until the incident can be investigated. And the teen's mother told a local TV station that the reason her son was suspended was that he refused to cooperate with the investigation. But his mother says that's because he's scared.

If witnesses corroborate the teen's story, then the school needs to immediately reward this young man somehow. He cannot grow up believing that helping other people will get him into trouble, so why bother? Schools, you have an obligation to teach children about right and wrong -- to not just punish when wrong, but to praise when right.

Do you think the school should have suspended him?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustaSM231
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM
This honestly doesn't surprise me. Just like the story about a young grade school kid who ate his breakfast pastry into the shape of a gun and got suspended for it. It sounds like the school has over-reacted to the situation. A say situation in this day and age. I remember boys playing with sticks on the playground at school at recess and making believe they were guns and playing cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

No he should not have been arrested. Furthermore, my child would not be attending that school anymore.

EDIT: I meant to type suspended, not arrested. Sorry!

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

No, he certainly should not have been suspended.  The school totally mishandled this

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does he refuse to cooperate with the investigation?  That's why the mother said he was suspended.  If I had all the facts about this then maybe I could make a judgement call but when you have someone not cooperating with the authorities it makes me wonder what's going on.

MrsBLB
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I totally agree...

Quoting fammatthews4:

No, he certainly should not have been suspended.  The school totally mishandled this

MrsBLB
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Kinda makes ya wonder why he was scared.  Hopefully there will be more to this.  I couldn't find anything on google...

Quoting fantasticfour:

Why does he refuse to cooperate with the investigation?  That's why the mother said he was suspended.  If I had all the facts about this then maybe I could make a judgement call but when you have someone not cooperating with the authorities it makes me wonder what's going on.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Me either so... I can only say that this either didn't happened, happened too long ago, or wasn't a big deal.

Quoting MrsBLB:

Kinda makes ya wonder why he was scared.  Hopefully there will be more to this.  I couldn't find anything on google...

Quoting fantasticfour:

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM
This

Quoting fantasticfour:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I tell my boys all the time that if they are defending themselves, their brother or someone who needs help then I will DEFEND them to the school, the cops or whoever.  But, if they begin the problem they are on their own (I will always been there but they need a little scare)

flprincessmom
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM

http://www.fox4now.com/news/local/195176031.html

Quoting MrsBLB:

Quoting fantasticfour:

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN