Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14yr old , 5 cavities.....

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ugh.... I took all three of my boys to the dentist today and my oldest has 5! Cavities:( no matter how much I stress the importance of oral hygiene and the rest of his body... He doesn't seem to care. My other two sons shower daily and brush their teeth two or three times a day without reminders. If I don't tell my oldest to shower, he will only shower like once or twice a week. This is frustrating to me. Any constructive advice??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this

well if he was in my house, the rule is if you are not mature enough to brush your teeth or bath then you get treated like a child. You dont have big boy privileges. You don't hang out with friends you stay right in the yard where mommy can see you.

mommaTLC186
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
None of my kids have friends outside of school. We just moved to this state last year and live on a dead end road with no kids their age. Pretty much, they are each others friends right now. He is in JROTC and his instructor talks about cleanliness. I just don't know why he doesn't care. When I ask him he just says "who cares"

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

well if he was in my house, the rule is if you are not mature enough to brush your teeth or bath then you get treated like a child. You dont have big boy privileges. You don't hang out with friends you stay right in the yard where mommy can see you.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM

What's JROTC?

Quoting mommaTLC186:

None of my kids have friends outside of school. We just moved to this state last year and live on a dead end road with no kids their age. Pretty much, they are each others friends right now. He is in JROTC and his instructor talks about cleanliness. I just don't know why he doesn't care. When I ask him he just says "who cares?"

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:00 AM
4 moms liked this
I would have him help contribute financially or with chores to the cost of the fillings, that's ridiculous! Also not taking a shower and poor oral hygiene would just not be tolerated in my home, no way it's IMO disgusting and rude, lazy and disrespectful to those you live with. He either takes a shower and brushes his teeth like others his age, or he's treated like a 3 year old who has to be reminded and his phone, car, computer, social life, whatever age appropriate activities are gone. Don't accept it, again 5 cavities, really? No way would that fly in my home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Agree completely with this. "No I'm sorry I can't let you go and see your friends because your smell might offend them". I would even go to the extent of brushing his teeth FOR him if he can't do it himself. I would threaten to even watch him wash himself in the shower or wash him yourself seeing as he can't be trusted to do it himself.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I would have him help contribute financially or with chores to the cost of the fillings, that's ridiculous! Also not taking a shower and poor oral hygiene would just not be tolerated in my home, no way it's IMO disgusting and rude, lazy and disrespectful to those you live with. He either takes a shower and brushes his teeth like others his age, or he's treated like a 3 year old who has to be reminded and his phone, car, computer, social life, whatever age appropriate activities are gone. Don't accept it, again 5 cavities, really? No way would that fly in my home!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Other than standing over him and forcing him to shower, I have no advice for you.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Just tell him, some kids are good about doing it on their own others aren't, but if you tell him everday, eventually he will get used to the routine....evetually. Once he get's a GF he'll really get on board.

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe you could talk to his jrotc instructor. Have him pull ds to the side and discuss it with him. They are very big on inspections and hygiene is a big one. My dd would be so embarrassed if someone else brought her hygiene to her attention. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Make it a clear cut rule that he must shower daily.  If he doesn't, he is to stay in his room or in the yard.  He is to eat all meals outside, as you do not wish his dirty body to share the dining table with the rest of the family.   

Until he is responsible enough to maintain his own personal hygiene, he is not responsible enough to have a cell phone, computer, or any other priveledges.   Act like a child, get treated as one.

I would also assign work chores to help pay his dental bills.   He can scrub the bathroom, for one! 

Eliminate all drinks except water.   Do not allow him sweet snacks.

mommaTLC186
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Its affiliated with the army, a program in his school

Quoting GleekingOut:

What's JROTC?

Quoting mommaTLC186:

None of my kids have friends outside of school. We just moved to this state last year and live on a dead end road with no kids their age. Pretty much, they are each others friends right now. He is in JROTC and his instructor talks about cleanliness. I just don't know why he doesn't care. When I ask him he just says "who cares?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)