Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Did you talk to your teens kids on.....same religion and compatibility in marriage....

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 42 Replies

How often do you talk to your children about your religion? And, with teen children, do you discuss marriage and religion.  Whats your opinion about both partners belonging to same religion and compatibility in marriage and future life? Have you talked to your teen children on this topic? Whats your opinion if the  other person is from a totally different religion e.g,., Jews, hindus, muslims etc.,

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No can't say the conversation ever came up. Religion is a personal decision. She goes to a non conservative Christian school but she may change her religion when she becomes an adult. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
We say it should not be a huge deal. Friends are Catholic and Jewish and are fine. I think if you have ultra strong convictions and opposite and will not compromise then it could be an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Never really comes up. People of different religions can make it work so long as they are both willing to bend and comprimise. If they aren't then the reality is the relationship probably won't make it past the dating stage.

MJP76
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I talk to my kids about respectful relationships, and the difference between a healthy and toxic relationship. Which includes being open and honest with their partner in every aspect of their life. My beliefs on religions, may not be what my children choose to believe, or their future partner, or how that is incorporated into their relationship. IE none of my business unless they make in my business.

having the same religious beliefs as my spouse is very important to me, same as political beliefs, and we lead by example, but I think my children making that decision themselves is on them when they become an adult.

so in short, no we don't particularly discuss or push our views of religion onto our children which is spiritual not religious.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

This~

Quoting LuckyMom822:

No can't say the conversation ever came up. Religion is a personal decision...

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
No. I talk to him about love and respect. Trust and communication. Honest and compromise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Our children know that I converted to Judaism before the oldest was born and they are being raised Jewish.  I have told them that I would understand if they were to marry outside of their faith, but I have also talked about why it makes marriage and family life more difficult.  They have seen their aunt and uncle divorce and they see how much their cousins get torn apart because the parents aren't of the same faith.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

We have a few very successful "mixed" marriages in our neighborhood, so I can't say that is near the top of our list of considerations when picking a spouse.  My husband and I were catholic, and raised our children in a protestant church.  My daughter will be attending a catholic college, and could very well find her future husband there.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

It hasn't come up. Dh and I are both Catholic, but my kids know that my parents are "different" religions- one is Catholic, one is Methodist, and they agreed before having kids to raise us Catholic.

I think that as long as you discuss how to handle it in marriage and w/ raising kids before getting married and having children, going into those w/ a plan, it would be easier.

Lacegee2
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It makes it easier because if one spouse grew up not into or celebrating holidays and others spouse does how do u raise the child?  Marriage is a lot of work and have different religious views should not be at the top ofmarriage equation.  Some things are a compromise but a family's religion shouldn't be one of them .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN