Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad grades finally bit him in the butt..***IM DONE***

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this

my son was deemed ineligible to play baseball this season because his grade were not up to par.  He is totally capable of doing B work without even cracking a book A work with a little study time problem is he RARELY does homework so that sends with grade into the toilet!

He is soooooo devastated.  I am sooo sad for him bc like any mom we don't like to see our child in pain BUT I think that this may be the wake up call he needs.  I have always been there to pick up the pieces for him but I am holding back and letting my baby bird learn to flap his wings only problem is....... 

ITS KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to fix it for him but he wont learn that way.  If he is going to be a responsible man he needs to be able to handle himself accordingly.

Would love to hear how you handle letting them fall?

Son of bitch!!!!  Just checked his grades and he got an A on his paper soooooo proud UNTIL I saw ANOTHER zero for homework.  ERRRRRRRRRR! 

When questioned he said he didnt know about the assignment.  I have been very calm until this point.  I lost it when he had the NERVE to say how it was the teachers fault he didnt know.  Is he OUT of his mind?  Thats it I am DONE.  He better learn to swim fast. I love him to death but clearly he needs to learn the hard way!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andersongirl562
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly school comes first so this would not have happened to my kids. The first time. They got below a b tghey would have been sitting at the kitchen table everyday after school doing homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Stay strong! My dd is doing the same thing this year. I have done everything to help her . Eveything but the work itself. If I don't check behind her one day, she will bomb a test or not turn in her homework. Now, I want her to fail and I flat out told her so. Maybe failing and repeating a grade will be her wake up call. Now I do nothing and its all on her. Just remember that you are helping your son by not helping!!!

CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

It is infuriating bc he is bright kid this semester his grades so far are

Science A-
History A-
Health A+
Art A
Italian B-
Algebra B+
English F

ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!  That damn F screws it all up.  I want to hit him in the head with his textbook so maybe something will sink in....lol  He has a research due and he is taking in SUPER serious now actually asked for help to get everything right.  

Quoting LuckyMom822:

Stay strong! My dd is doing the same thing this year. I have done everything to help her . Eveything but the work itself. If I don't check behind her one day, she will bomb a test or not turn in her homework. Now, I want her to fail and I flat out told her so. Maybe failing and repeating a grade will be her wake up call. Now I do nothing and its all on her. Just remember that you are helping your son by not helping!!!

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Sometimes the hard way is the only way they learn. This definitely sounds like the wake-up call he needed. It's hard standing back and letting it happen, when they're so upset it's motherly instinct to want to jump in and make it all better, but they need to see the consequences of their actions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

OMG I lost it bc when we were talking about it he started tearing a bit then excused himself and came back a minute later he is fine and I was a balling mess....LOL

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Sometimes the hard way is the only way they learn. This definitely sounds like the wake-up call he needed. It's hard standing back and letting it happen, when they're so upset it's motherly instinct to want to jump in and make it all better, but they need to see the consequences of their actions.

Carmen66
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Maybe now he knows how much it is affecting him and you. He will do fine, have faith in him. He isa good student as im looking at his grades. They go thru certain phases, but he will snap out of it. Good luck to you and him...

hefferlump
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

What grade is he in? Last year in 9th grade, it was English that brought down all the GPA's. All the English teachers were tough, came down hard on the kids, docked them for late work etc. It was just what my son needed. We were all over him, and by the second semester he got better. The first semester I was pulling my hair out.

wakymom
by Gold Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

For us, the last resort is taking away Boy Scouts (he's not into sports). We've only had to do that a couple of times, and it killed us. We HATE taking away something so positive. It worked, though, b/c although we have grounded (grounding does not include missing Scouts, just everything else fun) and taken things away since then, he manages to pull his grades up just before we hit the "no Scouts" point. It's baby steps, but we're getting there. . .

CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

He is freshman.  I think this was all bound to happen bc he attended my grammar school and had several of my teachers he was protected and cared for never babied. Doesnt hurt that he is a charmer either.  His teachers all love him. But the high school is a no mommy fly zone...lol  Monday is Parents night so we will see what they say

Quoting hefferlump:

What grade is he in? Last year in 9th grade, it was English that brought down all the GPA's. All the English teachers were tough, came down hard on the kids, docked them for late work etc. It was just what my son needed. We were all over him, and by the second semester he got better. The first semester I was pulling my hair out.

02nana07
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

He needs to be responsible and hopefully he will learn from this, you just have to let him know you will help him with his homework if he needs it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)