Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prom drama

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 51 Replies

Hi fellow teen moms. My name is Cree and I have two teenage girls. We had an issue come up and our family is divided on it. My oldest is a senior this year. My youngest is a sophomore. They have each been dating their boyfriends for three years. My senior's boyfriend is a year older than her so she was able to go to his junior prom as a sophomore. My sophomore's boyfriend is the same age as her so they aren't supposed to go to the junior/senior prom however they have friends who are juniors and asked them to go as their dates so that they could both go to prom even though they are sophomores. I know that this has been done for several years and noone has ever brought up the issue... until now. My senior does not think it is fair and she does not want her sister at her senior prom. My sophomore says it is fair because her sister got to go her sophomore year and it isn't her fault that her boyfriend is the same age as her.  My husband is siding with my senior and I am siding with my sophomore. I would love to hear what other mom's think of his situation. We are having a family meeting about it tonight.

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm siding with you and your sophomore. Your senior doesn't own the prom, since she went as a soph it wouldn't be fair to not allow her sister to go as a soph too. Unless they go to a really small school, it's possible for them to both go to the prom and not have to interact with each other. At your family meeting I'd try to find out why your senior is so bothered by her sister going, and figure out what you can do to alleviate her concerns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I word for word agree!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

I'm siding with you and your sophomore. Your senior doesn't own the prom, since she went as a soph it wouldn't be fair to not allow her sister to go as a soph too. Unless they go to a really small school, it's possible for them to both go to the prom and not have to interact with each other. At your family meeting I'd try to find out why your senior is so bothered by her sister going, and figure out what you can do to alleviate her concerns.

MansfieldMama
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I totally agree, as well.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

tntmomof2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to be the odd one here. As crazy as it is teens look forward to their senior prom. It's a special day for them. It's supposed to be a day that is theirs. I think your senior feels that if your sophomore goes it will take away from her day and it will become their day. 

Id have a sit down with the senior and discuss this possibility with her. If this is indeed how she feels I'd allow her to have her day and explain it to your sophomore. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I really don't know how I feel about this I can see both sides.  Luckily for us this wouldn't have been an issue as our prom allows Juniors and Seniors only.  Last year I had one Senior and one Junior (boy and girl) they double dated.  Neither one of them had an issue with this

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Around here, proms cost girls $500 at a minimum,  especially if they are splitting the cost of the bids, limo, dinner beforehand, cruise or carriage ride afterward, etc.  My daughters had jobs, and paid most of the costs for their proms, or they would not have gone.  I would NOT make a present of it for one kid, let alone two, since if you pay for the sophomore, you need to pay for the older one also. 

But I would NOT have had this problem to begin with, because I would not have let a sophomore have a boyfriend.  And I certainly would not have let a 12 year old have a boyfriend, which is what you have done, to end up with a sophomore who has been dating for THREE YEARS. 

CreeWest
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, Moms, for all of your responses. You have helped me to see both sides. Hopefully we will get everything resolved together tonight. Happy Friday!!!

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM
6 moms liked this

Honestly I think it is wrong that your daughter and her boyfriend want to go as other peoples dates just go to the prom early.  I think that they should sit it out and go next year.

stephs5isenough
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I side with your senior on this one too.  Your other daughter is a sophomore and waiting until the time is right, will make it all the better for her.

Please, Click my tag to follow me to:

LIVING IN THE ARMS OF JESUS

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CreeWest:

Thank you, Moms, for all of your responses. You have helped me to see both sides. Hopefully we will get everything resolved together tonight. Happy Friday!!!

Please update us after the meeting tonight. I'm curious to hear what you guys decide on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)