Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids can cook on their own now! :)

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM
  • 20 Replies

My older son learned how to make sloppy joes today!  From scratch.  Heh heh heh

He and his brother both agree that his version is better than mine.  Works for me!  The next time they want sloppy joe pizza they're on their own!

So let's see my list of foods I no longer have to cook is:

sloppy joes/ sloppy joe pizza

mac & cheese (boxed)

frozen/fresh pizza

taco pizzas

spaghetti w/ & w/o meatballs

breakfast of any kind

soup

frozen veggies

hot dogs

sandwiches

All in all that's a pretty good list for a 15 & 11 year old to be able to make on their own!   And it's gonna keep growing too!  he he he  >:}

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

We've been cooking with our kids since they were 5/6. They know how to cook just about anything, and I allow them occasionally, however I don't like the mess in my kitchen.... So.. Only occasionally...lol

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM

My kids began cooking with us from the time they could hold a vegetable peeler!  I remember canning tomatoes when my oldest was 4.  We had a production line going.  I blanched the tomatoes in boiling water to loosen the skins, then dropped them in ice water,  Then dd pulled the skins free and handed the tomatoes to Dad, who packed them in the sterile jars.

Basically, my kids could make an entire meal by the time they were 12.  The only limitation was weight and size.  They could not remove a pan from the stove unless they could do it WITHOUT using a step stool, and even if they were tall enough, if they weren't STRONG enough, such as draining 5 lbs of potatoes, or 2 lbs of pasta.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

My dd,19, makes the best chicken a la creme.

My sons are 7 and 10 don't cook yet but they like to help me bake.

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:11 PM

They've been helping out in the kitchen periodically form birth.  No choice really.  Grandpa has been in the culinary business for over 50 years so cooking is like the family industry.  And my younger one has the recipe for chocolate chip cookies memorized! :)

I am just happy that not only do they know how to do it all, but are old enough and willing to take over cooking some nights without arguing with me about it.

CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Wow I feel behind.  My kids can make breakfast and easy lunch stuff but other than that I cook everything for them.  I am SAHM so I always have the time for them. 

Do they cook when you are not home (question open to all)

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM
My dd 19 is my chel. I miss her since she is at school. She tries recipes and cooks everything. 21 yo can hardly boil water. Her boyfriend loves to cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Genie2
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Mine does too! I love it.  He has a little brother so, it makes it alot eaiser on me

luckysevenwow
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Mine will not starve and can follow directions lol

They all can cook to some degree, but I really don't let them in my kitchen. It's just easier for me to get it down, beside I think of the mess they will make (even if they clean it up) and it drives me bonkers.

Msgme
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My girls have been cooking with me since they could pretty much hold a spoon  lol  both my 10 year old and 14 year old can cook pretty much anything.  I can just tell them go cook dinner and they will.   The only thing my 10 year is not allowed to do is fry stuff with hot oil but we don't fry very often.  They are not allowed to use the oven while i'm not home tho.  My son is 16 and I realized a cpl weeks ago his ability in the kitchen is quite limited so He's been joining me lately.

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Don't feel that way!  I've seen posts on here from women who refused, not just hadn't gotten around to it but flaft out refused, to teach their kids how to take care of themselves and a home and let them figure it out once they were out of the house on their own.  Personally, I think that kind of thought process is behind.

If your kids can cook/prepare anything for themselves you're still getting them ready for adulthood and that's really what this is all about anyway.  This isn't about having time for them (when I had a job the only meal I wasn't with them for was lunch) but about getting them ready for adulthood.

OK - there is a bit of selfishness in that it's nice not being the only one capable of getting them food.  It frees me up to do other, just as important things for them and me.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

Wow I feel behind.  My kids can make breakfast and easy lunch stuff but other than that I cook everything for them.  I am SAHM so I always have the time for them. 

Do they cook when you are not home (question open to all)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)