Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Does your teen start sobbing when she gets in trouble?

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

This is driving me nuts.  I usually let my dh handle.  For the second day in a row she has posted on facebook (today it was about planning to mis-behave in school) - when she's suppose to be studying.  Her grades are crap right now and have been all year.

I simply had her hand over her laptop and phone until she's done studying - no yelling, no grounding.  And now she's sobbing uncontrollably like the world is over.  This is the same discipline DH has her do when she's not focusing - except he usually makes her do her homework at the kitchen table.

But when it's me - she starts bawling like I'm the big meanie.  WTF?  Personally I feel like its a victim ploy to take the focus off of getting in trouble.  Even more annoying is DH takes her side and was right here and knows I didnt yell at her. 

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperLooneyMom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Yes all of my kids do. But I don't care they can cry all they want. They won't be in less trouble. Jd usually is in trouble for several built up lies. Bryan has learned to grow skin. And we'll my 6yr old is a total drama queen anyway
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Don't they all!

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a ploy to me.     Daddy can't stand to see her cry, and she knows it..... and uses it to her advantage.

Honestly, my boys have not sobbed since they were babies.   Sure, they have cried... but rarely and very quietly.... just tears on their faces.   

MrsSufi
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Now it's 10 minutes later and she's humming happily.  Gah.  I feel like I need to call my own mother and apologize for ever being a teenager.  I do not know how she did it and let us live.

MrsSufi
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I wasnt even that upset about the facebook stuff - but this manipulation crap pisses me off.

Quoting boys2men2soon:
Sounds like a ploy to me.     Daddy can't stand to see her cry, and she knows it..... and uses it to her advantage.

Honestly, my boys have not sobbed since they were babies.   Sure, they have cried... but rarely and very quietly.... just tears on their faces.   

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM

No, she accepts responsibility and moves on.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Quoting MrsSufi:

I wasnt even that upset about the facebook stuff - but this manipulation crap pisses me off.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I would be pissed that your Dh fell for it!!  

bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM
It sounds like she's def doing it to get a reaction. My DD usually gets really quiet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

My kids knew better.  There was no crying unless there was arterial bleeding. But I'll tell ya, if I'd found them planning to mis-behave in school, there WOULD have been arterial bleeding!!!  And after I was done killing them, their father would have dug them up, and killed them again.

If your dd's grades have been 'crap" all year, why does she still OWN a laptop and phone??  Taking them away when she's "studying" have had absolutly NO effect.  Have her do her homework at the kitchen table PERIOD.  Password protect your desktop, and ONLY sign her on while you are supervising her.  

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM

My 16yr old is a boy and a very emotional child so yes he does it is simply part of his personality and always has been.  It is who he is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN