Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Puberty in girls

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM
  • 17 Replies
At what age does it start? Is a period next?

My dd is 9 and is getting hair down there, but hasn't gotten her period yet. I'm nervous. Is it too young?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I had hair at ten, period at thirteen. Base it on your timing when you went through it. It will be similar.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetMama823
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I got my period first at age 8 I hit puberty in 5th grade so @ 11-12ish.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

I had hair at ten, period at thirteen. Base it on your timing when you went through it. It will be similar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staceyp6180
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I got my period when I was 8 and hair when I was nine.
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the child. I would ask her doctor. Hair has more to do with ethnicity. My DD is half Italian and had hair early and didnt start until age 12.5. She also had breast Development at age 9. I started at age 13 so that may have something to do with it? The later the better I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
healingone
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope, not too young.  Possibly will be a while before period if she is just starting to get hair. How is the breast development?  Buds yet or can she still get away without a bra? It's happening earlier and earlier nowadays due to all the hormones in our food. The more natural you can eat, the better.  It's the very very early ones I worry about, 7 and 8 years olds getting periods, and never having been warned/explained, etc.  Now is the time to start explaining to her what's coming, though, given the hair.  They need explanations early so they are not surprised.  I recommend a good book to make it easier for you to talk to her about it.    Ask any librarian and they should be able to recommend.  Or you could go online of course.  I'm sure there are gobs of htem and that some of the mom's here know what they are.  Blessings!!

Manth
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughters started getting hair down below around age 10, breasts around the same age and their periods started around age 13, much the same as the pattern I had.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:27 AM

It's different for everygirl.  My DD started about 3 years after she was fully developed.  (much later than most girls ,almost 17, but along the same time frame as me which is why I didn't worry)

suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:04 AM

hair means nothing you cant predict it usually is breast, moody, and increase in appetttie all kids different some get period at 9 some 15 just wait it out

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Usually a year or so later is the norm. Mine started at 12 and 14.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jakejulemom
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I was 16 , I think the later the better
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)