Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: I recently learned that my 16 year old daughter was...

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 204 Replies
1 mom liked this

I recently learned that my 16 year old daughter was cutting and burning herself. How do I confront her without her pushing away?

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Get her counseling. Why would she push you away??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3mom627
by Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM
2 moms liked this

After she has calmed down, try another talk. I agree that couseling is probaby needed  Talk to the school

3MOM627

have a nice day

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 16, 2013 at 6:07 PM

you need to get her into counceling.  

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fammatthews4:

you need to get her into counceling.  

Agree 

blogenmom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

My daughter and I do not have an open relationship. She no longer confides in me, she has never forgave me for divorcing her father though it was for the best. I Defantly think counsaling would be a good idea, I just wish I knew how to confront her on the issue.

orngblsm
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM
5 moms liked this
You might want to try talking to her school counselor and bring it to his/her attention as well as the issues regarding your divorce. Maybe having the school counselor talk to her about it will throw the potential spotlight off of you and keep her open to getting help. Also, the counselor may be able to help bridge the gap between the two of you.
blogenmom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I do believe we could both benefit from family counseling to patch our relationship but I feel that she needs undivided attention to allow her to feel like someone cares about her and that she is loved. I do not know why she can not get that from me, but maybe finding out why she is hurting will help.

sue9686
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Take her to her pediatrician immediately.  He will talk to her and refer you to a psychiatrist.  DO NOT ever hesitate to get your daughter help.

blogenmom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM

When I first found out about the self mutilating I started searching for therapist  In my area. She is terrified of doctors and hospitals. Her school has called me multiple times because she refused to go to the nurse. I want to get her help but I do not want to create another thing for her to resent me for.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I would confront her head on.  Tell her you heard that she was doing this stuff, and if she denies it ask her to prove it to her.  I would find out why she's doing it, I could never figure it out, and then get her into counseling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)