Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

SD just got asked to Prom...the weekend we have her.

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
  • 19 Replies

My 17 year old SD (a junior in HS) was invited to prom by her senior bf. I immediately expressed delight, as prom is SO much fun if done safely. My DH is scared as hell. He has no idea how to help her prepare for one of the biggest nights of her life. He told me to write out a 'Honey Do' for him to make this night special for her. Can I get some prototype "Instructions" for a daddy to get his baby ready for prom?

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
My girls just went with friends to get nails done the day before. I took dd's to get hair done. All that is left is pictures. Junior prom they drove with friends. Senior prom they had a limo or party bus. They had after prom parties at our house. Guys had to leave at 2am, girls all stayed over. If its a large group prepare for pics to take 1 1/2 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sure if you ask her she will have a pretty good idea of how SHE wants things to go and that's the most important thing. Have your Dh ask her what he can do to make sure this is a special experience and something she will always remember. I'm sure that will mean a lot to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Get the credit card out lol.  Mostly that's all he has to do.  Set limits on how much everything is going to cost, find out if her mother is pitching in at all and work that into the budget, then find out all you need to know about the prom.  What time is it over, is there an after prom and if so where and is it supervised, etc.  Set strict curfews.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

This.

Tell your husband not to freak out. 

Maybe she won't do what he did (ha ha).  Kidding. 

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I'm sure if you ask her she will have a pretty good idea of how SHE wants things to go and that's the most important thing. Have your Dh ask her what he can do to make sure this is a special experience and something she will always remember. I'm sure that will mean a lot to her.

jjchick75
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I agree with this! I think talking to her and finding out what she wants is a good place to start! My daughter is going to her prom this year and I just can't believe it. We went looked at some dresses this afternoon and she tried a couple on and I looked her and thought when on earth did you become a young woman? It's just unreal to me that oldest baby is grown! But I am looking forward to it and I know she is too!

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Just have DH ask her what she wants.  Make sure though that he sets a budget for her before hand, and make sure she knows what it is. Maybe when you are taking pictures take a couple of daddy and daughter together.  

02nana07
by Ida on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Just tell him to tell her he is there and needs to know what he can do to help.

elkmomma
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My favorite memory is my dad taking an extra day off from work to spend with me shopping and primping.  It's the first time I can remember my dad crying when I walked out in the most amazing dress and telling me what a beautiful young woman I was growing into. 

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

This is great advice!

lnk8522
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

money,honey! lol

hair, nails, dress. some spending money if they are going out afterwards, in case her dates fail and doesnt pay.

also get pics,lots of them, even if she gets all embarresed, shell love having them later. if you guys are on good terms with her mom, maybe ask if she wants to come over and see DD before they leave. or you can give her pics. If shes getting ready at your house, maybe you and mom could help her, a girly bonding moment or somehting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN