Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

3/17 Today is...

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM
  • 12 Replies

Do you eat anything special for St. Patrick's Day?

MARCH 17TH, 2013 – ST. PATRICK’S DAY – NATIONAL CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE DAY

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY FROM NATIONAL DAY CALENDAR!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day

March 17th celebrates National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day.  This seems to be a fitting holiday for St. Patrick’s Day.

Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product.  To “corn” something is simply to preserve it in a salty brine (the term corn refers to the coarse grains of salt used for curing).

In the traditional Irish recipe, salt pork or bacon joint were used instead of corned beef.  In Ireland, cows were not used for their meat.  Cows were used for their dairy.  Beef was consumed, only by the wealthy, as a luxury food.   Instead of the beef,  pork was used to celebrate the holidays.

In the mid 1800′s, when the Irish immigrated to America, they found that Jewish corned beef was very similar in texture to bacon joint (pork).  It was then that corned beef was used as a replacement, in their recipes, with boiled cabbage.   That was the time  that Irish-Americans began having Corned Beef and Cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:13 AM

no we don't eat anything special for St. Patricks Day

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

We don't eat anything special for St. Patrick's day.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
No. I hate corned beef.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkmomma06
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Nope. Just another day for us
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I do make corned beef n cabbage! Yummmm! I've gotta go get it started!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Happy St. Pattys Day!! No we don't eat anything special but I have been known to drink a green beer.

SaraBethKY
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I put green food coloring in my alfredo sauce so I would have green pasta. Dh told me it looked gross haha

bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:01 PM

We're about to sit down to corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots : )

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Yes we did .Our club had a St.Patrick's day party.Parade for the kids with goody bags ,green lemonade and green beer and some Irish Dancers.They were amazing.They had a buffet ,,,Irish stew ,cabbage ,Shepherd's pie ,colecan  all delicious ...the corned beef and some weird cabbage -red potato -corned beef thing was ummm lacking shall we say.

I am spoiled my sister makes some crockpot corned beef that is great.So far I don't like any other corned beef but hers.

Plus I bought green and white shamrock shaped cheese raviolis at costco.We were going to have them tonight but we ate too much.Dinner tomorrow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN