Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Kids switched behaviors...

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

Wow man it's like the personalities just switched.  16 year old son is starting to get his act together, getting more and more things, bringing his grades up, etc.  He does have a few setbacks every once in a while.  I don't expect him to be perfect and he's not and I do expect a few setbacks but as long as he is facing the right direction then I am happy.

14 year old daughter however just did a marathon run into his old ways.  Previously honor roll and all advanced courese, headed into AP and Dual inrollment coures brought home 2 Fs on her progress report.  She's now lieing about almost everything, is annoying as can be (even at her younger sister who usually gets along with her fine), denies every thing, blames everyone else (of course her teachers are lieing about her) and everything else. The only thing she's not doing is getting violent.  I hope it doesn't come to that. 

Just when things start looking up, we get another one tumbling down.

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pdxmum
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Ah, the joys of the teen years!  DD16 was reminding me tonight of how miserable a person she was two summers ago on family vacation.  Pointed out that SS14 is behaving the same way now...

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:18 AM

Isn't it funny that they can point out the problem in someone else but can't in themselves?

Quoting pdxmum:

Ah, the joys of the teen years!  DD16 was reminding me tonight of how miserable a person she was two summers ago on family vacation.  Pointed out that SS14 is behaving the same way now...

christina259
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:44 AM

your daughter sounds exactly like my son. he's been like this a while now. he's sixteen. oh i hope he will come out of it. Sometimes i ask myself is this what i get from being the best parent i knew how to be. In hindsight i see dh and i's mistakes.usually involving our own relationship problems that may or may not have (i'm not sure) affected ds. But never any wrong doing towards ds other than i wish we wouldn't have argued in front of him.Hmmm. actually though, i used to think dh was to harsh and sometimes a little  unfair with him but dh would think I was too easy. possibly that could have been a bad combo. I honestly don't think i was too easy on ds though, I think dh just happened to be harsher than me. We weren't perfect but it wasn't like i didn't try to be. Ds had it soooo much better than dh and i ever had things growing up. i wonder if he's spoiled? did i miss something, not teach him something. i mean really, most people tell me i'm a sweet mother and they couldn't imagine me being a bad mother and i myself(although not always perfectly sweet or mistake proof) know that i always had him at the top of my priority list and tried to be little miss mommy perfect but yet here I am with a troublesome teen. Yes, my ds also can be soooo annoying. picks on his little sis and all the above you described about your dd. i hate to say it but ds has gotten extremely annoying. he used to be such a sweet little boy. Where did he go? :( I mean he would come home upset because he saw  bunny get hit by a car. Now he walks around joking about cooking the cat for supper. WTH?He really wouldn't do that. he actually went searching for the cat when it got lost so he really is joking. He wants to collect knives and his hobbies seem to be about guns and video games. yuk.he says mom i'm not going to kill somebody, its just a hobby, a collection and all my friends have these things. (Don't worry my son don't have and want be allowed to have a friggin' gun. He's not into hunting so theres just no need for it. the knives are the collector type things and he only has one. I finally caved because he's sixteen and he does use it as a tool for things not a weapon.  Even so, What exactly is the appeal of collecting weapons?? I still feel a little wierded out that my son is into these kind of things.  Its like testosterone just changed him over night. Ah those teen hormones....at least i hope thats all it is.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Hopefully, she will get with the plan soon..... she knows how the story goes.  

PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

That's the joy of having more than one child.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

That's pretty much how it goes, as soon as I had one teen straight, the next one took that spot. It was a long few years.

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM

or if you somehow get the problem acknowledged from the kid they feel there is a very good reason for their behavior -haha-but the siblings never have a decent reason...ever 

Quoting fantasticfour:

Isn't it funny that they can point out the problem in someone else but can't in themselves?

Quoting pdxmum:

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I feel for you. :(

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:27 PM

That's rough. I'm sorry. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)