Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My teen is a big baby.

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
  • 23 Replies

Hi I am a mom of a 13 year old girl and an only chlld.  I think she's a grest kid but she's very babyish.

She still wants to go see kids movies and was asking me yesterday about having an easter egg hunt.  It's starting to worry me a bit because I see her peers starting to leave the little girl stuff behind.  What do you guys think.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
There is nothing wrong with holding onto childhood as long as she can. She probably knows it is ending and is trying to hold onto the last vestules she can.
Is she starting high school next year, correct? She knows that's more responsibility and that can be nerve racking. Let her grow up on her own terms.... Technically this is her last year to keep being a "kid"

My son is 13 and starts high school next year. He refuses to give up his Legos ( fine) that's all his friends text to each other .... Creations. ( shakes head.
As long as her grades are up, and she is polite.... Let her mature at he own pace, this age can be intimidating . Childhood is virtually gone... Some of our children aren't ready. (And isn't an Easter egg hunt better than being boy crazy, at this point ?) ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

Since when was that stuff only for little kids? My 21, 20, 20 and 19 year olds still go to see 'kid' movies and look forward to the Easter Bunny and Egg hunts. Heck Santa still comes to our house.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Every child matures at their own and I don't see anything wrong with what your child is doing.  I think too many parents push their kids to grow up too fast and see the things you described as childish behavior.  My suggestion is to leave her alone she will mature at her own rate.  My 17 yo still loves animated movies, I do too for that matter.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Let her grow up at her own pace. So many kids are in a hurry to grow up. I was always a bit more immature than others my age; I still had at least 1-2 good friends who didn't care about that.

Ds1 will be 14 tomorrow. He still likes to play w/ Legos and toy cars/trucks, loves Nerf gun fights, and when invited to hang out w/ a friend the same age a few months ago on the boy's b-day, they chose to go see Finding Nemo 3D. He has a nice group of friends, so I'm not worried about it. He's going to be into all that "teen" stuff, just not yet : )

Momoftwinkies
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My almost 15 year old still loves kids movies....hell I do too. The egg hunt is a little different, but I am sure any age would enjoy it.
02nana07
by Ida on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Let her grow up at her own pace once she does you will wish she was back into kid stuff.

Christy78
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
My oldest is 15 yr old now. When she was in 4th grade she told me she was to big for toys, she gave her toys away. My son who is 11 in the 5th grade lolve legos. he sits for hours puting stuff together. My oldest is oin a hurry to grow up. I have told her for time to time do not with your life away be a teen and have fun . Becasue once you get in to the real wolrd working a 9 to 5 job paying bills is not cookes and milk. Theirs nothing worng for her to watch kids movies. My friend and her husabnd have no kids yet. but love to see kid movies still
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Quoting 02nana07:

Let her grow up at her own pace once she does you will wish she was back into kid stuff.

Amen! They really do pass this stuff by SO quickly!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

Since when was that stuff only for little kids? My 21, 20, 20 and 19 year olds still go to see 'kid' movies and look forward to the Easter Bunny and Egg hunts. Heck Santa still comes to our house.

LOl, the adults in our family still hide eggs for each other, we love it too!

JustaSM231
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I look for reasons to do kid things like Easter egg hunts, Halloween trick or treating, watching animated movies. I'm 38! LOL.

Let her enjoy being young for now. If you are concerned, speak with her teachers and see if they have any concerns about her maturity. They may be better able to judge her maturity against other girls her age.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)