Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Food Allergies... Help!

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

I recently found out that my 15 year old son has food allergies. They popped up out of no where. He is miserable, with a rash, itching all over. Besides that, he is allergic to soy, corn and a laundry list of things. I need help, he is used to eating whatever he wants, whenever he wants. He is 6ft 3 and 175, a growing boy. I have to learn what is good for him and not anymore, any advice??

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The best thing to do is take him to the dr and have an allergy test done so you know what exactly he is allergic too.  Then sit him down and tell him what he can and can not have.  The Dr. should also be able to give you tips on how to avoid certain things.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM
My dd's friend found out in middle school she was allergic to gluten peanuts, and to dairy. Yep, it was hard for her and her parents but they deal. Her parents still eat dairy and gluten some. They do not restrict themselves. Their dd seems to manage. Now she is at college my dd told me her parents bring food for her to eat each week. Its too hard for her at college and luckily her parents are an hour away. She was so sick she knows she cannot cheat and has to be strict with her diet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Maybe you can meet with a dietician and get some menu ideas?

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM

OUCH. The soy and corn is a KILLER.

Are allergy meds an option? I don't know for sure, but I *believe* that if it is resulting in hives and rash-not digestive problems-allegra and zyrtec can work for him. What does his doctor say? 
Your body completely changes every 7 years, so... it's that time. I never had an allergy to ANYTHING until I turned 22. Then for about 14 years I had horrible fall allergies and I couldn't tolerate milk all of a sudden. Now I have late summer allergies and I can handle milk-not in excess, but... It's bizarre, so have hope that his body will shift again!  

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM

That's hard. I don't have any food allergies, and neither does my kid. I like the suggestion of talking taking him to a nutritionist.

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Has he ACTUALLY been to an allergist, and had testing to confirm what he is allergic to?  If so, THEY should have told you what is good for him, and what is not.  But if you are just assuming he is allergic to these things because of the timing of his reactions, then you need to take a step back.  His reactions could truly have been coincidential to what he was eating.  He could be experiencing contact dermatitis.  He could be having an auto immune reaction, signaling disease onset.  You REALLY need to take him to an allergist, and begin there.

jhelmke
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Your son was older than mine when we found out he had food issues.  Your allergist can help. The nutritionist can help too. We also took a class on going to grocery store and reading labels.  He will also need to ask what is in food at restaurants.   You can get food facts on line but restaurants do cook it different in different regions. We found that out the hard way.

TexanMomOf6
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

My DD28 has a mess of allergies, including soy. It is surprising how many things it is in. You have to be a label reader. DD goes online to find soy-free foods, shampoos, conditioners, you name it.

Don't trust what the wait staff tells you is in the food. They don't aways know nor do they admit it.

bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I would find a reccomendation for a good dietician that specializes in those with allergies, your local Allergist doc should be a great resource for that. Make an appointment with the dietician to address which specific foods your child can and cannot have. Then find out what good snacks, meals, ect along with calorie counts for a growing healthy boy will be needed. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
HE needs to speak with an allergist and dietician. He is old enough to learn how to live with his allergies. He is old enough to understand the risks of ingesting them. He is old enough to look for food that are safe for him.

It will be a change but HE can learn to live with his allergies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN