Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should a 12 year old girl be allowed to stay home alone unsupervised?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM
  • 166 Replies

Poll

Question: Should a tween be allowed to stay home alone?

Options:

Yes, that's fine as long as they are mature.

No, it's too dangerous.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 395

View Results

My ex husband believes our daughter is old enough to stay home alone, but I disagree.  I worry.  She may know what to do in case of a fire, but if some man/or men break into the house to hurt her, what is she going to do?  Is she going to fight them off?  No one there to call 911.  There is too much scary stuff going on in this world;  child/little girls being abducted, killed.... 

When I brought her to dad's house after taking her out for the evening, the rest of the family:  him/fiancee/her daughter/my son, were leaving to go out for dinner.  My son told me they were leaving to go out.  I told him to tell his father to wait a couple of minutes, we were almost there and she could go with them.  The father didn't listen and left anyway so when we got to the house, no one was there.  He insisted she was okay and should go in the house.  I told him I wasn't going to leave her there alone.  I would go inthe house with her.  He adamantly told his daughter that I was not allowed in the house, and that I could wait outside till he got home in 1 hr.  I was so upset, I called the sheriffs office.  A cop came and wrote "report" as my ex arrived alone to pick up his daughter.  Cop said that it's okay for 12 year olds to stay home alone.. I disagree. 

What do you think?   Am I wrong here? 

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I have left my 12 yr old son alone with my 7yr old while they were sleeping for 30-45 mins when having to go pick up DF from work. They kept one of the phones in their bedroom and knew how to get out of the apt if needed.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2AlexAraya
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it depends on the child. I have left my ds home alone on several occasions, he is 13. My step brother who is 12, I would not even think about leaving by himself!

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
16 moms liked this

Your ex was right.  If your 12 year old can't handle the responsibility of being home an hour on her own, she either hasn't been riased correctly, or she is disabled.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Is the house in a safe area?  Then, yes.  Just tell her not to answer the door or the phone and to have her cell phone nearby in case she has an emergency.

Mine did at 12.    Are you talking about just a short time period during the day?  Or all day?  Or overnight (mine don't want to be alone overnight, really). 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. 12 year olds babysit. Mine did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Different states have different cut off ages. Since the cop says it's not illegal you can't do anything about it. The only thing you can do is talk to her dad about how dangerous it can be and hope you can convince him to quit leaving her alone.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on the child. Most 12 year olds I would say with average maturity can handle it, all 3 of my older kids were fine at that age. When you bring up men breaking into the house what diff does 12 vs 15 make, they will take over anyway?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM
16 moms liked this

Yes you are 100% wrong and way over protective.  Most 12yr olds are babysitting others by that point and honestly most people start leaving their kids home alone for short stints when they turn 10yrs old.  You realize that she will be legally an adult in only 6yrs.

My 15yr old often house sits our friends homes when they go away on vacations and is often left alone for a full week. 

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Agreed.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes you are 100% wrong and way over protective.  Most 12yr olds are babysitting others by that point and honestly most people start leaving their kids home alone for short stints when they turn 10yrs old.  You realize that she will be legally an adult in only 6yrs.

My 15yr old often house sits our friends homes when they go away on vacations and is often left alone for a full week. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)