Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Have you done an STD Slideshow with your kids?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: What age do you think is appropriate to have a REAL conversation about sex with your child?

Options:

7-9

10-12

13 & Up

Never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 10

View Results

What age have you done this, and what was the out come?

My husband and I have always felt like our parents didn't do ANY REAL sex ed talks with either of us. My mom came home one day with an STD book, and we went over it a tad bit, but we never went deep other than no sex before marriage. So I decided that it would be different for me and how I talked with my kids.

We started having conversations with and showing her different impactful images of STDs when my oldest daughter was 9 because lets face it, kids are having and have been having sex or touching and doing things to each other at an early age and it is getting out of control. My daughter is 16 now and thinks boys are cute, but her head is i the text books she brings home because she wanys to go to college! Thank God we have lovingly discussed the consequences of having pre marital sex, and relationships with a boy at this age...

Because she truly gets it!
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Around 8 or 9, we started having some small chats, just so they knew what was going with their bodies and what the other kids were talking about, and then real sex talks, with contraception, STD's, pregnancy, abortion/adoption, the whole nine yards, around 12/13. We started keeping condoms in the house for our oldest son when he told my husband he wanted to have sex a few months ago, and our 15 year old daughter is on birth control, though she isn't sexually active, but she said she wants to be prepared. Right now, she's like your daughter, no boyfriend, no interest really in guys, she's all about sports and school, which I love. We've had to come down on our 16 year old a few times because his grades slipped due to spending so much time with his girlfriend, but we got that under control. 

sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

slide show?

I discussed it at different times with each child depending on their maturity, their need, etc.  But the information trickled out for years.

I never saw the need to give them graphic images of stds.  And I really would see NO need to show a 9 year old photos.  That seems a bit much to me, I would not have done that.

I want my kids to have a healthy appreciation and enjoyment of sex in a loving, safe, and committed relationship and tended to focus on putting things in that context.  Explaining why choosing to do things out side of a loving, safe, committed relationship is unhealthy physically and emotionally.  Not scare the hell out of them with graphic photos.

and we can agree to disagree, since your children and mine are over the age of 9 we have no need to hash this out.

HYLIFAVRD
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Thanks for all your responses! I feel as parents we are all different in how we view the world and it's influences on our children. Not to mention how we parent alao has a lot to do with how we were and were not raised.. Blesaings to you all!
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like you've done a great job with her

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM

We just discussed sex from around 7 or 8 in dribbles as opportunities came up.When they started to lose interest we would take a cue.By the time they were 9 or 10 we had all the facts out and understood.We still have two teens at home and as different opportunities arise discussions still take place.

No never did a show of STD's.

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I never did it because his health class got to it before me. They had multiple movies on STD's and they grossed my son out!!!! He had the movie in 7th or 8th grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I started discussing age appropriate things starting as young as 3 when they learned safety issues. My kids are now Ds 20 and DD 15, it's always been an easy topic of discussion as it was always ongoing and I REALLY encouraged open communication and have tried to answer each and every question honestly.
As far as a slide show no, my DD is in health this year as a freshman and my DS too. They both had to do a project on an STD and saw the slide shows then. I do want my kids to har a healthy, positive view if sex so I'm not sure I would do so at such a young age, however open communication is MUCH better IMO than none.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Ooh, that's a good idea.  A slideshow.  I remember being totally freaked about the middle school movie we were shown and was certain I would never, ever have sex!

No one has had sex yet, because I've managed to keep them super-busy and tired. There would be no time, and there is far too much adult supervision.  So far, so good. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Nope, haven't done a slideshow of it. We've discussed it, but I know he'll see pictures of it next year (8th grade) in science class.

c_edmonds
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I started the talk when my oldest was 8ish I believe and that is because a girl and boy were in the bathroom in his elem school. So from then on I started all my boys around that age. I didnt do a slideshow but the internet is a very good place to show them what they look like and where you can get them on different parts of your body.

They werent scared but they surely were grossed out. I talked about as much as I could remember. I told them that ppl will look completely normal and still have a "hidden" std. They need to be as careful as possible.

Reality is in this world is that some arent going to wait until marriage to have sex but I want mine to fully aware of what is going on outside in the real world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)