Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Appropriate?

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 36 Replies

My 8th grade daughter wants a pair of wedges for a mother/daughter fancy event around graduation. Although she gets good grades, is in student council and national junior honor society, and has worked really hard the past few years to make it into the highschool she wants to go to I dont know if these shoes that she has been begging for are an appropriate height. I personaly think these Toms wedges look like hooker/streetwalker shoes (they are 3 inches with a 1 inch platform). Many of the other girls at her school wear 5 and 6 inch heels, which I think is ridiculous but my daughter is constanly asking why I care so much and can't just let her fit in. Any thoughts???

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SugarrCane
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I think Tom's wedges are fine for a teen. :)

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Honestly, I hate heels on young girls, but for the occasional event I think it's fine. Just not everyday use. It's not good for the feet, and they have plenty of time to put their feet through hell, later, when they are older, and not still growing.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I wore them at that age as they were in style, and although I would have let mine in 8th grade, mine hate high heels. 2 inch is all they go even now at 19 and 21. Mostly they do flats. If your dd acts appropriate that is all that matters. Shoes don't make a hooker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shopsha0911
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I think a wedge is fine as long as they learn how to walk correctly in the shoe.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say it's fine. Although I have to say it's really nice to hear that there really ARE parents who care about what their kids are wearing!!! 

Some of the things I see these days? OH. MY. GOD... Wedges would look like a nun's habit compared to what these kids wear!

bizzeemom2717
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
3 moms liked this
She's a good kid with good grades, ect? Seems like she's proven she's mature enough to wear a pair of wedges for a special occasion. What is the concern? Have her practice walking in them if it's safety? If its because you think it's inappropriate, one pair of heels doesn't make a girl any less appropriate if it's a special occasion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

They are so cute and MORE than appropriate at that age.  Let her have them mom, P.S. I know you don't want to hear this but she is growing up.  Let up a little bit.

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I wore them at that age as they were in style, and although I would have let mine in 8th grade, mine hate high heels. 2 inch is all they go even now at 19 and 21. Mostly they do flats. If your dd acts appropriate that is all that matters. Shoes don't make a hooker.

Wore them also.

Agree shoes don't make a hooker.

It is hard to imagine a Tom's shoe being even suggestive.I think their wedges are cute.

These shoes are a very innocent and mild fashion statement.

bookworm70
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

These are hooker shoes. Not even close to the shoes your DD is begging you to wear. In fact, the shoes she is asking for are very similiar to the ones I wore to my 8th grade graduation & no one accused me of being a hooker.

Diamondblue1
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM

i give you a bump. my daughter don't like those type of shoesbump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)