Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

repeating things is something a toddler does!

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 10 Replies
Yet my 13yo DD has recently started repeating me... in question form! And it irritates me. Mainly when she doesn't like what I tell her. Example- she asks if she can stay up & watch a show with me. I tell her no. She replies "No?" Or "So that's a no?" I tell her to hand me her phone if she's not doing something I asked her to do something & she says "Give you my phone?" And just now I told her to throw something away she had in her hand. She turns to her sister & tells her sister to throw it away! I said "YOU have it in your hand! YOU throw it away!" She replies "I throw it away?"

What the heck do I do?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahlady
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

LMBO... she found your number.  What would happen if you gave it back to her every time she gave it to you?  Would it help or escalate things?

My son got into a habit of asking me to do every little thing.  Instead of getting mad I turned it around and in a very dramatic voice said "yes, of course I will... because it is all about you" and I would do it immediately without hesitation.  I would also ask if there was annnyyyy thing else I could do for him... becsause it was all about him.  He got so irritated by this response that he shaped up.  Now and again we will do it to each other as a fun inside joke.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM

IGNORE it! She knows that it irritates you so she is going to keep doing it. And toddlers don't do that either. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM
She sounds condesending. Ground her butt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM

I'm cruel - I would probably ground her AND for every time she did it I would make her owe me a dollor or a chore. Maybe both

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I agree. If it continues after ignoring it however tell her in no uncertain terms what her punishment will be if she continues and follow through. It's disrespectful

Quoting tyfry7496:

IGNORE it! She knows that it irritates you so she is going to keep doing it. And toddlers don't do that either. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

If you have asked her to stop and she continues to do it, tell her that each time she feels the need to parrot you, she will write down the exact comment 10 times.   That should satisfy her need for clarity. :)

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My 13 y/o daughter did something similar to this that started about 6 months ago.  After about of week of me repeating myself and thinking she needed her hearing checked I stopped.  Her hearing and comprehension are just fine.  I just stopped repeating myself.  If she repeated my request to do something back to me and it wasn't because she was uncertain I would just stare at her.  I wouldn't respond verbally, just stare at her with my "Mom Look" with one eyebrow raised.  My kids know if they get THAT look it's their one warning.  After that concequences are passed out.  It stopped pretty quick.  It still pops up once in a while but it's rare.

Barabell
by Barbara on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I'd treat it like a toddler then...one warning to stop acting that way and then start punishing/grounding if it continues.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

LMAO my oldest daughter has been doing that lately too. She is 14 also.... I think she does it thinking she is funny, If it bothers you just ignore it she will stop soon.

drfink
by Emily on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Laugh at her ...really when mine keep up something like that I will laugh ,give them THE look and ask  them do they want to try again or keep it up and xxx will happen.They seem to almost always try again the correct way.I do follow through if they don't.

For us they will quit doing what ever it is pretty quickly when they realize only they are getting affected ...not me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)