Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do You Talk To Your Kids About Sexting?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
  • 21 Replies

Powerful Anti-Sexting Ad Is a Great Way to Start the Conversation With Your Kids (VIDEO)

by Lindsay Mannering

teen sextingThere's no such thing as sending "just one photo", and unfortunately, more and more teens are learning that the hard way. One topless photo sent to a caring high school boyfriend can easily be forwarded thousands of times in a matter of hours. Suddenly, that risque picture you thought you'd text has turned into a living nightmare. If there's anything to be more wary of than hormonal teenagers, it's hormonal teenagers with smartphones.

As parents, how can you get the point across that there's no such thing as just one photo? A new sexting ad demonstrates how it can ruin a teenager's life, and the short video could be an important first step in starting the conversation with your teen, or god only knows, tween, about the dangers of sexting.

Helping our kids understand that there are scary and unfortunate consequences when sharing photos online or over text is becoming a priority. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the person in the photo, especially if you don't know them, is actually a sentient being. Just look at the Steubenville rape case -- the photos of Jane Doe were circulated and re-posted without much hesitation, if any.

But the more our kids understand that one poor decision, be it sending a sext or forwarding one that was sent to you, can really affect their lives, or their peers' lives, the better.

Do you and how do you talk to your kids about the perils of sexting?

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momabear455
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM

One of my daughters didn't even know what is meant, she googled it to find out!

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I have; but I know my oldest is that body shy that she would never do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM
I have a son who understands HIS role in sexting. I would like to say he would never be involved in sexting, and I don't think he would directly..... I've told him if such a picture is fwd to him. He is to delete it immediately and let me know.
Just being on the receiving end of a fwd could possibly get him into trouble if he were to keep it on his phone. He also knows that as a gentleman in training, he should be attempting to protect his female friends or girlfriends from such exploitation.
chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Yes

Mazie0723
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Yes. Recently a friend of hers was asked to send a boy a picture of her chest. Thankfully her friend was smart and didn't. I explained to dd that once you do something like that, that no one will respect you and your picture could be all over the school and internet. Her reply " mom I have enough respect for myself and my body to not do that".
MrsBLB
by Missi on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Oh yeah we did.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Yes I have

MJP76
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I expect my children to act respectful, to themselves and others. They know this. They know that sending inappropriate texts is unacceptable. They do what they are told.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Yes, We have discussed it.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Oh, yes.  But then I'm a big privacy rights advocate, so we talk about privacy in general and keeping your business to yourself all the time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)