Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much does college cost?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is in 9th grade. I want to know what would be average cost of undergraduate college courses? Just give me a rough esitmate annually....

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
charlotsomtimes
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Usually parents income counts even if you are living on your own. That doesn't work because more parents would try it.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

depends on what school, and how many grants and scholarships she gets...

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

even after she has been out for a year on her own?

momof98and03
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Roughly $35K per year: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/08/24/the-average-cost-of-a-us-college-education

Does a state college really cost $35K???? Or is it Private college???

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I think so if they are 18, 19, 20. Parents would have kids move out and still be supporting them for extra govt money. That is why they count parents income, unless married. It says if born after January 1 1990 you have to file parents income.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

Usually parents income counts even if you are living on your own. That doesn't work because more parents would try it.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I think so if they are 18, 19, 20. Parents would have kids move out and still be supporting them for extra govt money. That is why they count parents income, unless married. It says if born after January 1 1990 you have to file parents income.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

well that's crappy...I thought after a year they were "on their own"

good thing she is almost 20 now...

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Here is my experience.  In state living on campus Is $23,167.  Only if you are truly extraordinary, or a varsity do you get more than the Abigail Adams scholarship, which is virtually nothing.  

Private schools do offer money, but most of it is need based, and I can assure you that the parents income counts.  There is really no way to make your kid independent so that your income won't be considered.  What I have found from my friends whose kids got into the top tier colleges is that there is almost no merit scholarships from them, but considerable need based aid.  The mid tier private colleges offered more merit based scholarships, and need based aid.  The private colleges we looked at had a tuition/room/board cost between 42,600 to 53,500 per year.

Many people are fans of community college, but I am not one of them.  Only 11% of those that start at community college ever get a four year degree.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Many private schools give merit scholarships that income is not used. Our dd gets $10,500 a year. It is the lowest scholarship. Many kids get over $25,000 a year.

Quoting Carmel63:

Here is my experience.  In state living on campus Is $23,167.  Only if you are truly extraordinary, or a varsity do you get more than the Abigail Adams scholarship, which is virtually nothing.  

Private schools do offer money, but most of it is need based, and I can assure you that the parents income counts.  There is really no way to make your kid independent so that your income won't be considered.  What I have found from my friends whose kids got into the top tier colleges is that there is almost no merit scholarships from them, but considerable need based aid.  The mid tier private colleges offered more merit based scholarships, and need based aid.  The private colleges we looked at had a tuition/room/board cost between 42,600 to 53,500 per year.

Many people are fans of community college, but I am not one of them.  Only 11% of those that start at community college ever get a four year degree.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I said most aid is need based.  Based on what I have seen top tier college appear to give little to no merit based scholarships.  Your need to have merit to get in in the first place.  By definition, I am speaking of the top 50 national universities, and the top 50 liberal arts colleges.  Mid tier colleges give much more merit based scholarships because they are trying to lure students away from more prestigious schools.

The university my daughter will be attending offer a merit based scholarship to only 30% of the admitted students, and many are just $6000. They offer a significant amount in need based aid.

Quoting atlmom2:

Many private schools give merit scholarships that income is not used. Our dd gets $10,500 a year. It is the lowest scholarship. Many kids get over $25,000 a year.

Quoting Carmel63:

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I foundn another article that ranges from $22,261 to $43,289.  That's going to be your low to high average for last year. 

Quoting momof98and03:

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Roughly $35K per year: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2010/08/24/the-average-cost-of-a-us-college-education

Does a state college really cost $35K???? Or is it Private college???

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Yes, it is mid tier school my dd goes to. 97% get merit aid. I know no one who goes to the top 50 schools.

Quoting Carmel63:

I said most aid is need based.  Based on what I have seen top tier college appear to give little to no merit based scholarships.  Your need to have merit to get in in the first place.  By definition, I am speaking of the top 50 national universities, and the top 50 liberal arts colleges.  Mid tier colleges give much more merit based scholarships because they are trying to lure students away from more prestigious schools.

The university my daughter will be attending offer a merit based scholarship to only 30% of the admitted students, and many are just $6000. They offer a significant amount in need based aid.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting Carmel63:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

well that's crappy...I thought after a year they were "on their own"

good thing she is almost 20 now...

The FAFSA is based on the parents income until the kid is 24 yrs old, regardless of if they live on their own or not.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)