Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much does college cost?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is in 9th grade. I want to know what would be average cost of undergraduate college courses? Just give me a rough esitmate annually....

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Well, my daughter is going to be going to a state school in the fall. Tuition is around $7500 a year. Housing and meal plans will add another $12,000. That doesn't include books and other fees.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It really depends on the State you live in, I think.     My son goes to a University in State.   Tuition costs for in state residents are roughly $10K per year, including books and fee's.  If my son were to live on campus (he lives at home) it would cost another $15-20K per year.

Google colleges in your area, or ones your DD is interested in attending.  

charlotsomtimes
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

I think so if they are 18, 19, 20. Parents would have kids move out and still be supporting them for extra govt money. That is why they count parents income, unless married. It says if born after January 1 1990 you have to file parents income.

well that's crappy...I thought after a year they were "on their own"

good thing she is almost 20 now...

The FAFSA is based on the parents income until the kid is 24 yrs old, regardless of if they live on their own or not.  

24?   BOO.   This sucks- she just applied to the community college to save money next year- and it is not on the busline  she takes to the university (a straigth shot-1 bus.  she would have to take like 4 buses to get there every day and do it again to get home if she doesn't move out ) 

*sigh*

sabrtooth1
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

As others have said,  Tuition PLUS room, board, and fees, at a STATE school is a minimum of $25K per year.  Different majors at the same college will cost different amounts of money, because the FEES are different.  So YES, a minimum of $100K for 4 years, not counting any grants, scholarships, etc.

Government student loans are given to the STUDENT ONLY, without needing credit checks or any collateral.  They generally are at a lower interest rate than a bank loan.  They start small, and increase over the four years.  They ARE NOT ENOUGH to pay for the full amount of tuition, room, board, and fees, every year.  These loans are given on a first come, first served basis.  Government money is tight, and every year, it runs out earlier.  These loans GENERALLY--NOT ALWAYS  do not need to be repaid while the student is still full time, IN GOOD STANDING.  Academic probation is NOT "in good standing".

Government PARENT loans are Parent Plus loans.  The interest is higher, they need a credit check, and they need to be repaid beginning when they are paid out, altho you CAN apply for a deferrment.  You also can overcome a poor credit history with a co-signer.  The maximum amount of the loan is the "cost of attendence" at that particular school and for that particular major --the school WILL tell you that amount-- minus any other loans, aid, grants, scholarships, etc.

BANK student loans have the highest interest, the strictest credit check, and will generally require a cosigner.  They need to begin repayment as soon as they are disbursed.  Again, they are up to the "cost of attendence".  And they have the TOUGHEST delinquency penalties.  They will hound you FOREVER, and will even garnish your SOCIAL SECURITY PAYMENTS IN RETIRMENT. 

And this is TODAY.  4 years from now, the costs will be higher.

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Unless she has a child of her own, she's dependent until she's 24!!

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

depends on what school, and how many grants and scholarships she gets...

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Yes!! Even if she's been on her own for 4 years. It's until she's 24.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

Usually parents income counts even if you are living on your own. That doesn't work because more parents would try it.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

even after she has been out for a year on her own?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerd.stuff
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:44 PM
To get my bachelors degree in paralegal is a big fat: $60k
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Yep. We're just finding this out now. We have a 21 year old that has been on his own since he was 16. Now wants to go to college but can't because of our income level. EVEN being married, unless he has children he is supporting he's still considered dependent for state and federal aid. 

It used to be true that the child could be an independent if they were 100% responsible for their own support for a certain number of years. Not true anymore. 

Quoting tyfry7496:

Unless she has a child of her own, she's dependent until she's 24!!

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM
The college my DS attends is about 55,000 a year, but he has a partial academic scholarship that takes off about 25,000 per year or a 100,000 scholarship for all 4 years. We found MUCH better scholarships at private schools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperLooneyMom
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Dang!!!! I don't want to send my kids to college now. Too damn expensive.
My husband and I have already decided our kid are paying their own way starting at comm colleg
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)