Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much does college cost?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is in 9th grade. I want to know what would be average cost of undergraduate college courses? Just give me a rough esitmate annually....

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (31-40):
suesues
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:26 AM

in NY   Cuny school $8000  Suny 20000 private 30000+  room and board $12000

Go on schools web site it list tuition

Ewa101
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I think community college is the smartest thing ever - the first two years of college is usually just general courses.  If I had my way, my kids would go to the community college, and then transfer to a private/state/city university.  The disadvantage of a community college may be that one has to be careful what courses to take, so that they are accepted at 4-year universities.  While they are going to community college you also may save on room and board, because they may be living with you.  However, for my kids community was not cool enough.  One went to private, and we are still paying it off (3 years after she graduated), the younger went to state - this, thank God, is paid off.

40,000+ now includes room and board, but not books, which adds at least 1,000.00 per semester.  The kids, however, learn quiclkly how to save on books by sharing, buying used, using the library, etc.

Quoting momof98and03:

So, that means about roughly 100,000$ per child for undergraduate degree?? And does this include accomodation etc.,

Whats the advantage and disadvantage of going to community college?

Genuinesweetie
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My daughter got into NYU and it's 53k a year. That includes her classes, a meal plan and room and board. Books are not included. She got a couple scholarships so it makes things a little easier.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I go to community college it cost 78 a credit hour so about 312 per class per semester. This is a bargan compared to a University or undergrad school.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I t really depends on the state you live in and whether she will attend the community college, an in-state school, an out of state school, or a private school.

community colleges average $4000-$600/year so $2-3000/semester

In-state schools w/room and board are roughly $15,000-$20,000

Out of state tuition w/room and board can run anywhere from $25,000-$55,000 depending on the school

Private schools are usually in the $30,000-$60,000 range w/room and board. However, scholarship money usually flows freely at private schools.  If she has good grades and good ACT/SAT scores she could get up to $25,000/year from a private school.

My son attends school out of state at the University of Missouri.  His tuition bill w/room and board is $34,000 but he has a $4000/year scholarship.

My daughter is looking at the University of Montana, also out of state for us. The bill would be $28,000 but they are offering her $5000/year in scholarship money.

In-state schools, where I live, run around $20,000.

I know, more detail then you wanted.

nuts4scouts
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momof98and03:

My dd is in 9th grade. I want to know what would be average cost of undergraduate college courses? Just give me a rough esitmate annually....

Why settle for a rough estimate of costs in other states?

Find out EXACTLY what the costs are in YOUR state, in YOUR area.

All colleges are now online. They will list their tuition, fees, room/board, and also any scholarship info specific to that school.

Do your research, or better yet, sit down with your dd and both do the research together.

Keep in mind that out-of-state tuition/fees/room will be about double what in-state is.

Also keep in mind that these cost go up EVERY YEAR. By the time your DD will be getting her financial packets from schools you might have to add another 2,000-5,000 + on to what current  costs are.

We found that private schools in general, while costing more at the outset, are much more generous with their scholarships, and grants.  My daughter was all set to go to a local state school when she got her financial letter from a local private one. With all of the misc grants they were giving her, their bottom line ended up better than that of the state school.

As for room/board - she would be a commuter student at both schools, but at the private one she went to she got involved in on campus activities/organizations, and for her last two years she got the job of Resident Assistant (RA). As an RA she got free room/board in a single room (no roommates), and a monthly stipend. There was a lot of work involved (hence the single room and stipend), but it was worth it for her.

mom2bell
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
This is a good time I start looking into it. I am doing the same although my oldest is a junior. We are looking into scholarships both athletic and academic. One school she is interested in is little less then 6,000. A year but that does not include housing and supplies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lennyraye
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

My daughter is in her senior year at CWU where she is graduating with a double major and has carried a very heavy load. But it has been approximately $40,000.00 for full on-campus living.

She received for her freshman year 2 private scholarships from business and private families in town that have set up scholarship funds asociated with dollars for scholars program. Then she turns in her fafsa (a must!) putting 0 in the area where family contributions are...always start by putting 0. Do NOT be afraid to write a hardship letter if it is a hardship on your family and the funds are NOT there.

I got my daughter the free money book and she has applied for every grant or scholarship (alot of work) but go to www.wa.grants.gov site and every grant offered in Washington state (or the state you live in ) is listed. She applies for al that even sound like they would help her. At graduation time she will only owe a direct stafford loan of approx. $25,000.00. This will be written off due to her going into education and we signed her to the T.E.A.C.H program that offers writing off loans if she goes into teaching and it is in a low-income district. Which almost every area is now. She also will have an Economics degree that is what she received her scholarships from DECA marketing program in HS where she was very active traveling to New York, California , Seattle and competing with other marketing students. She excelled and chose it as her second major after eduction in History which she loves and plans to teach HS. It has helped that she is on the deans list every semester and she carries such a heavy load working on 2 majors with minor degrees attached to each. She has done this in less than 4.5 yrs. I am very proud of her and have learned if you are willing to do the work and watch deadlines being in there when grant funds are first available the money is there. Hope this helps you. Each state is different as far as independent qualifications. But if you start out by putting 0 help available and explain why..each plea for financial aid is considered at the college's discrepency so you have to not be afraid to offer up a reason she may not be able to attend unless she can find financial aid availble. Apply for everything and do not underestimate the Fafsa information. Good Luck!

tyfry7496
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM
If he's married he's no longer dependent on you. FAFSA will look at him and his wives income.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Yep. We're just finding this out now. We have a 21 year old that has been on his own since he was 16. Now wants to go to college but can't because of our income level. EVEN being married, unless he has children he is supporting he's still considered dependent for state and federal aid. 

It used to be true that the child could be an independent if they were 100% responsible for their own support for a certain number of years. Not true anymore. 

Quoting tyfry7496:

Unless she has a child of her own, she's dependent until she's 24!!

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

depends on what school, and how many grants and scholarships she gets...

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeltink7
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:36 AM

I hate to say it but until your child is 24 parents income will count against them and there are not provisions if they live on their own.   I lived on my own from age 16 on and my parents income counted against me fully till I was 24. Unfortunately, they refused to share their income with anyone so I was screwed anyway.

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

depends on what school, and how many grants and scholarships she gets...

we are currently trying to figure out how to get my daughter moved out- so she can be considered on her own so she can get more grants and such...we make enough that she didn't get any, but not enough that we can just throw money around either...UGH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN