Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much does college cost?

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is in 9th grade. I want to know what would be average cost of undergraduate college courses? Just give me a rough esitmate annually....

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
angeltink7
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Why not have her stay at home and use the money she would use living on her own on college tuition?

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting boys2men2soon:

Quoting charlotsomtimes:

Quoting atlmom2:

I think so if they are 18, 19, 20. Parents would have kids move out and still be supporting them for extra govt money. That is why they count parents income, unless married. It says if born after January 1 1990 you have to file parents income.

well that's crappy...I thought after a year they were "on their own"

good thing she is almost 20 now...

The FAFSA is based on the parents income until the kid is 24 yrs old, regardless of if they live on their own or not.  

24?   BOO.   This sucks- she just applied to the community college to save money next year- and it is not on the busline  she takes to the university (a straigth shot-1 bus.  she would have to take like 4 buses to get there every day and do it again to get home if she doesn't move out ) 

*sigh*

charlotsomtimes
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Quoting angeltink7:

Why not have her stay at home and use the money she would use living on her own on college tuition?

24?   BOO.   This sucks- she just applied to the community college to save money next year- and it is not on the busline  she takes to the university (a straigth shot-1 bus.  she would have to take like 4 buses to get there every day and do it again to get home if she doesn't move out ) 

*sigh*

She has been this year- but anhour bus ride each way is getting old, and next year she will be doing the community college instead. She is going for nursing and this will be cheaper and easier for her to get into than at the University she goes to. *She just decided to change what she is going for from psychology to nursing. This will be a better school because they are more hands on and less about writing paper after paper than where she is at and way easier to get into the program (we have a friend who's daughter just graduated over the last summer who did this- started at the the same university-then switched to this nursing program- she had almost perfect grades and could not get in but it was not a problem at the community college. She had a job waiting when she was done)

The problem with her staying home, is that it will take her at least twice as long to get to this school- there is no direct bus frome where we live. She does not have a car (had to sell it due to it having too many problems).  I had no idea that they consider income for that long, I always thought if they were gone for a solid year then it was no longer considered. Either way, she needs to be much closer to the school

Also- in New Mexico they have it set up where they will pay tuition (at either school) as long as she keeps her grades above a certain level, but that is supposed to change soon due to the rising costs of it,and them running out of money. This next year tuition is covered for her- but books and everything else is on us.  When it changes they will only pay half

PurpleHazey
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

Depends, community college, states schools, private schools?? State schools are $25,000 or so a year for tuition and room and board. Private schools $40,000+ a year. Community college $100 or so a credit hour and that varies from school and state to state.

I took online classes and they were $350 a credit hour, College is very costly. My sister is a eye Dr. and she owes $300,000 in student loans. She don't make $300,000. I asked her if she could go back in time and change it and she said she would not go back to school because it isn't worth it. College cost more than what one can make.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM
It is a fact, the more schooling you have, on average in a lifetime, the more money you make. $300,000 is a lot of debt. Most are not in debt that much.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting atlmom2:

Depends, community college, states schools, private schools?? State schools are $25,000 or so a year for tuition and room and board. Private schools $40,000+ a year. Community college $100 or so a credit hour and that varies from school and state to state.

I took online classes and they were $350 a credit hour, College is very costly. My sister is a eye Dr. and she owes $300,000 in student loans. She don't make $300,000. I asked her if she could go back in time and change it and she said she would not go back to school because it isn't worth it. College cost more than what one can make.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

The crazy part was not going to school, but getting 300,000 in debt.  There was no reason for that.  She could have started at a state school, or gone to a private school with a more generous aid package.  The university my daughter will be attending appears on some list of one of the more expensive universities in the country.  After her aid package, and what my husband and I can reasonably afford she will come out with about $20,000 in debt.  That is the amount of a car payment.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting atlmom2:

coffeemom37043
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Well in PA, at a community college I pay about $5500/semester plus $500 or so in books. At a university, about $7000/semester and same for books. And that's not including room and board or travel expenses or living expenses or lab fees.

shadowspirit07
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Depends on if it's in-state/country or out of it. The local colleges are 5k a year for in-state and 20+k a year for out of state. Also depends on whether you live on or off campus, what goverment loans/grants you qualify for, etc. And NEVER buy books/supplies through the school unless you have to, even used they are a fortune. Try Amazon or ask students who have taken the class previously (as long as they haven't changed books). I'm going to an out of state university (universities are more expensive than colleges) because my state didn't have the degree I wanted and I'm paying $495/credit hour and taking 16 credits this semester while working part time. Ask what she wants to do for a career and see what's available and do estimates. Community colleges and tech schools are cheaper than universities and private schools.

Love is Friendship caught on Fire

Mom to 2 fur-babies: Onyx (cat) and Tigger (cat)

wedding countdown

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Yes, but that's the "sticker" price.  No one pays that.  Tell her to do exceeding well in school, and also develop some interesting hobbies/pursuits, as well as to develop good writing skills.  She'll get scholarships.

Community college is ok if you want a trade or or to add some higher level classes to high school, but I'd probably aim for the University.

Quoting momof98and03:

So, that means about roughly 100,000$ per child for undergraduate degree?? And does this include accomodation etc.,

Whats the advantage and disadvantage of going to community college?

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Wow, that is really inexpensive! 

Quoting shadowspirit07:

Depends on if it's in-state/country or out of it. The local colleges are 5k a year for in-state and 20+k a year for out of state. Also depends on whether you live on or off campus, what goverment loans/grants you qualify for, etc. And NEVER buy books/supplies through the school unless you have to, even used they are a fortune. Try Amazon or ask students who have taken the class previously (as long as they haven't changed books). I'm going to an out of state university (universities are more expensive than colleges) because my state didn't have the degree I wanted and I'm paying $495/credit hour and taking 16 credits this semester while working part time. Ask what she wants to do for a career and see what's available and do estimates. Community colleges and tech schools are cheaper than universities and private schools.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM

That depends on if you are an in-state or out of state resident, if you will live on campus or off campus, and if you go full-time or part-time.  It is up to each college.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN