Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

You're Engaged!?!?!?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 32 Replies

So I had been trying to get ahold of my 18y/o dd yesterday to make sure she was coming over for Easter dinner on Sunday and no answer. Then I get a call from one of her family members in NY saying that she had been trying to get ahold of her too, to warn her about her father doing some really deceitful things. So I went onto facebook to send dd a message to call me and then went to her bf's page to also send him one. Looking around and see that they are engaged(as of March 6th), they were here last week for dinner and never mentioned it!!!!! WTH?!?!?!?!

How would you handle this?? I just want to scream at her to DON'T do it, but I know that will get me nowhere!

surprised

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I would probably ask if they have set the date....  on Facebook.

KristenLystly
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I think the best thing to do its react with love first. at her age she needs love and support, and you want to keep that bridge strong, so she will open up to you and really tell you what's on her heart.

I assume you think this is a bad idea?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bcruick
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yes, very bad idea!!! She is not mentally mature enough to handle it. And her bf, is a recovering drug addict and it scares the crap out of me that he will get back into it and try to pull her in too. We have had a rocky relationship and I have backed off alot. I try not to show jugdement when she tells me things, only advice.

Quoting KristenLystly:

I think the best thing to do its react with love first. at her age she needs love and support, and you want to keep that bridge strong, so she will open up to you and really tell you what's on her heart.

I assume you think this is a bad idea?

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Ugh, she's gonna have to learn the hard way. I would jusr say "I see you are engaged".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Maybe they are planning a really nice way to make the announcement?

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

did i miss the reason on why you don't want her to get married?

bcruick
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Because she is not ready!!! She is still a jr in high school(she got held back in 2nd grade), this guy is not ready either. He is a recovering addict(clean 8months) and makes some really dumb decisions. I want to see her graduate from high school and start college before make this move. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

bcruick
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM

That would be nice if they had not put it on Facebook!!

Quoting specialwingz:

Maybe they are planning a really nice way to make the announcement?

Luv.My.Kidz
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:16 PM

what you want and what she is going to do are totally different. Sorry

Quoting bcruick:

Because she is not ready!!! She is still a jr in high school(she got held back in 2nd grade), this guy is not ready either. He is a recovering addict(clean 8months) and makes some really dumb decisions. I want to see her graduate from high school and start college before make this move. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

arkmomma06
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)