Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Facebook for 12 year olds.

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Does your 12/13 year old have facebook?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

I am curious to know if there are any parents out there who do not allow their children on facebook. 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

My kids are 11, 14, 15, and 16, and all but the youngest have a facebook page. He will be allowed to have one when he is 13, which is the age they require you to be. 

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:01 AM
My 14 year old son had one at about 12 1/2. I set it up for him, but since day 1 Ive had the password and he is fully aware that I STILL monitor it and I DO read his personal messages. But thats because I dont think he knows he can delete them lol. And he knows that if he ever changes the password without my ok, he will not have a FB page anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM
My oldest has a Facebook she is 14 and my middle dd has one. She is 9. She does not go on very often
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Everyone in my house has one except the 6 year old and 3 year old.

In the last month or so my 8 and 11 year old got one. Yes, I'm aware it goes against FB rules, but with older siblings leaving and most family out of state I figured it would be a good way for them to stay in touch. Plus they like the games, some of which they have on their tablet's.

However, they do not have their passwords. I have to log them in and they have to logout when done. I invite or deny friend request, and only allow poeple I know.

Right now they are learning internet etiquette, and internet safety, buy the time I turn it over to them I will feel secure in their ability to handle themselves and behave.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Mar. 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM
My kids did at that age. I monitored it more closely when they were younger
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:54 AM

My dd, now 19, was about 14 when we let her set up a fb account. My 10 and 7 y/o do not have one and will not be allowed to get one until they are older, even though "all of their friends have them". I tell them sorry you got a mean mom, not a cool one.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:02 AM
My kids are 17 & 19. One has FB (got it at 13) but doesn't use it anymore, the 19 yo has never had it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bigbabyrose3
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:35 AM

How do you monitor it? They can delete messages so easily, and get on from anywhere. Friends phones, ipods, nooks, ipads....None of which my child has. My DD turns 13 this summer and have been considering, but it would be very hard to monitor since she can get on it anywhere!

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Facebook came out after my oldest was 13 anyway. Youngest had one then. She is responsible and always has been. I did not have passwords but if I said to them sign in and let me look, they had to right then. I would not start earlier than 13. My girls have moved so much. It was great for them to get in touch with friends from the past.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

You won't be able to moitor every singles aspect of it once you hand it over to her. That's reality, but at some point you have to trust them, and hope everything you've taught them sticks.

Have some ground rules. You have to have passwords and access at anytime. Only people she knows and you approve of can be her friends. In most cases it's just family and school friends. Do a weekly sweep, go in and take a look. Also she has to be friends with you, yes they can bypass this, but if you are going in weekly you'll know if she has done it or not. 

The younger they are when you 'train' them, the less likely they are to make mistakes or do something stupid as they get older.

Quoting bigbabyrose3:

How do you monitor it? They can delete messages so easily, and get on from anywhere. Friends phones, ipods, nooks, ipads....None of which my child has. My DD turns 13 this summer and have been considering, but it would be very hard to monitor since she can get on it anywhere!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)