Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

College and your child's friends

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
  • 6 Replies
Seems this weekend was a bug one for college acceptance letters. Friends are starting to make the hard choices. Of my daughters close friends she has two going to two different schools in MA, one in CA, one in WI, one in AZ... They are all over the map. None within visiting distance from her school thought WI does play her school so one or the other will fly for that game freshman yr at least.

How about your children's friends? Any if them going to a school with someone they know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM
My oldest did massage school and after a year she didn't talk to any of her hs friends again. Most went in state here in WI.

My youngest went 400 miles away to Dayton OH. Her friends are everywhere. 2 at UW Madison an hour away from here, one local at Carroll University, another at Minnesota Rochester, one at a small school in Iowa, another was at Iowa State but she transferred to Dayton in January. The one at Carroll may go to UW Lacrosse next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM

None of mine went to a college that any of their friends did.  We live near Seattle, one kid went to NYU, one went to Oregon State, and my youngest just decided on University of Colorado Boulder.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My daughter will be going to Fairfield University in Connecticut.  She has a friend there already who is a sophomore.  Her best friends will be attending University of Michigan, Southern Methodist University in Dallas, University of Tampa, Holy Cross, and Georgetown.  Her graduating class will really be scattered from coast to coast.

MJP76
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Oldest DS had one friend go to the same college.

DD (15) is actually looking at colleges in Cali, so I doubt any of her friends will go to Cali too.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

DS number 1 attended  Carlton University  and never spoke to any of high school friends his highschool was know for producing scholars and they went literally all over the place both in Canada and the US. DD attended Niagara College and only speaks to a few of her friends from highschool as most either didn't go to post secondary(the girls)or went away on sports scholarships to NCAA schools or are play CIS football. SHe still keeps in contact with her bestfriends one who is an hour away the other who is on the otherside of the country.

I think it depends on what they are studying the new friends they make and the type of freindship they had previously to them going away.  DD mentioned the other day that people she hasn't talked to in 3 yrs are now messaging her and following her on twitter. She thinks it might have something to do with her choosen career path and that she is already on TV and working for a pro lacrosse team this summer.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My son has a couple of kids that go to the same college.  He doesn't get to see them because of different scheduels but he is making new friends, so i'm really thankfull for that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)