Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

4/1 Today is...

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

NATIONAL ONE CENT DAY

National One Cent Day is celebrated each year on April 1.  This day is about the one cent piece (the penny).  The Lincoln cent is the current one cent coin of the U.S. dollar. It was adopted in 1909, replacing the Indian Head cent.  From 1959  to 2008, the reverse featured the Lincoln Memorial. Four different reverse designs in 2009 honored Lincoln’s 200th birthday and a new, permanent reverse – the Union Shield – was introduced in 2010.

The U.S. Mint’s official name for a penny is “cent” and the official name by the U.S. Treasury is “one cent piece”.  In American English, pennies is the plural form, other plural forms pence and pee (standard use in British English) are not used.

“As of 2012, it costs the U.S. Mint 2.00 cents to make a cent because of the cost of materials and production.  This figure includes the Mint’s fixed components for distribution and fabrication, estimated at $13 million in FY 2011. It also includes Mint overhead allocated to the penny, which was $17.7 million for 2011. Fixed costs and overhead would have to be absorbed by other circulating coins without the penny.  The loss in profitability due to producing the one cent coin in the United States for the year of 2012 was $58,000,000. This was a slight decrease from 2011, the year before, which had a production loss of $60,200,000.” (Wikipedia)

On National One Cent Day,  you can research the history of the penny and also learn about saving your cents.  Each cent saved accumulates over time.

Do you save your pennies in a piggy bank, use them or put them in the give a penny take a penny dish at a store?

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lakerfan420
by Jamie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
All of the above. I use them, donate loose ones, and any change remaining at the end of my day ( plus any $1 & $5) goes in our money jar. By Nov, we usually have a few hundred dollars saved in change and small bills that starts our Christmas shopping. Been doing that for about 5 years now!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

The girls have banks they save their pennies in and cash them in at Christmas time to buy presents.  I tend to save mine or donate them.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Used to but don't now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I use them most of the time. I try not to let the build up.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Save them
wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I spend them. Every once in a while, I'll put a few in a take-a-penny-give-a-penny dish.

02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I usually just keep them in the bottom of my purse until it gets heavy then I spend them

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I usually put them in the take a penny leave a penny dish.

When change collects in the bottom of my purse I put it in a small crock in my kitchen. Once that fills up I will take it to coin star and cash it in. Lately it's gone to my sons school's events. One did a penny wars a few months ago. This week my youngest son is collecting change for kids with cancer.

drfink
by Emily on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM

save

KristenLystly
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
They need to get rid of Pennies and Nickels. A penny in 1909 is probably worth $O.10 now anyway! Just a wild guess, someone smarter than me should check that!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)