Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

One leg longer than the other?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm confused on this. I thought it was kind of normal, but I went to doc today about what I thought was a wart and it turned out it was due to one leg being longer than the other. He was actually pretty surprised about the difference and I've never noticed it. But now he is talking about how to correct my foot. The bone is way bent from this, and then talked to me about shortening the leg! Has anyone ever heard of this? This is a foot doctor by the way.

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

My question is what caused one leg to be longer?     I do know that congenital hip can cause that.   I was born with a congenital hip and had it not been corrected, one leg would have been shorter.

I would seek a second opinion from an Orthopedic.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

DS number 2 has one leg longer than the other. It is the result of a car accident and a broken femer times 2. DS has worn lifts in his shoes since he was 7 and only accasionaly has back issues. Now that said he only wears good quality running shoes and duty boots that the lifts fit in properly. He was told not to wear shoes with the spring like thingies in the heel but a solis sole. He has never had the leg shortened although there was talk when he was younger to remove the growth plate. He is now 23 and doesn't have too many problems with it except when the fool deciedes to go for a 10K run and then complains of pain in the knee or hip.  I would look into orthodics that are custom made as they make a world of difference and alot less painful than shortening your leg.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

My son and husband both have one leg longer than the other. A small difference is normal. Our bodies aren't completely symmetrical (I JUST learned this with my son.) However, a large difference in the length can cause all kinds of problems such as what you are experiencing or some pretty nasty back problems. It's actually caused a bit of a curvature in my son's spine (scoliosis.) 
I've never heard about shortening the other leg and I've dealt with this in my husband for years. Usually they either put a lift inside the shoe if it's under about 1/2 inch or on the outside of the shoe is it's greater than half an inch.
Seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis after getting the lift/equaling out the hips is important in getting everything to shift back into the proper place. 

I'd say that seeing an orthopedist is in order here-not a podiatrist. The ortho will measure the discrepancy and get the proper lift made for you. THEN a podiatrist to help you re-structure the foot that is damaged from this. 

I really want to know how he thinks he will shorten the longer leg??? That would seem like a major bone operation when something simple can be done???

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I went because I thought I had a wart on my foot and wanted it taken care of because nothing I did was helping.  It was on the side of my foot and it hurts.  Turned out to be a callous that popped up for no reason.  My shoes aren't tight or anything and it doesn't hurt to wear shoes, it just hurts when I touch it.  He xrayed my foot and showed me the bone in my foot that's bent.  SERIOUSLY bent.  I snapped a picture of it myself and then was looking at xrays I found online and NONE of them are bent like that. 

As far as orthopedic, that's where he works is in an orthopedic center.  I'm sure he would recommend me there.  He talked about custom inserts or something to reshape my foot, but they would hurt.  I don't know if I would wear them to be honest with you.  I don't wear shoes alot, since I don't work.  I'm going to seek a second opinion.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

My son and husband both have one leg longer than the other. A small difference is normal. Our bodies aren't completely symmetrical (I JUST learned this with my son.) However, a large difference in the length can cause all kinds of problems such as what you are experiencing or some pretty nasty back problems. It's actually caused a bit of a curvature in my son's spine (scoliosis.) 
I've never heard about shortening the other leg and I've dealt with this in my husband for years. Usually they either put a lift inside the shoe if it's under about 1/2 inch or on the outside of the shoe is it's greater than half an inch.
Seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis after getting the lift/equaling out the hips is important in getting everything to shift back into the proper place. 

I'd say that seeing an orthopedist is in order here-not a podiatrist. The ortho will measure the discrepancy and get the proper lift made for you. THEN a podiatrist to help you re-structure the foot that is damaged from this. 

I really want to know how he thinks he will shorten the longer leg??? That would seem like a major bone operation when something simple can be done???

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Always get a second opinon when an Osteotomy (removal of bone) is suggested.  As was said, most everyone has on limb longer than the other, but the difference is normally very slight.  It sounds like yours is more than slight, especially if it's causing walking problems.  That in turn will cause problems with your hips and back.  Best of luck. HUGS

Tinkergirl1997
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Get another option, fixing feet is very painful if you can fix it with a insert that might be the way till go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Got another appointment with a different doctor.  I told them what was said and told them I didn't know if it was a scare tactic or if it was realistic. Got an appointment for next thursday and going to find out about both feet this time instead of just the one.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Is it an othopedist or a podiatrist? You need to first deal with the orthopedic problem THEN the podiatry of the foot. All you do to fix the foot is going to be for nothing if you don't go to an orthopedist. 

I'd guess the foot may require a surgery from what you say but, again, that won't help until you fix the problem that is causing it. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

Got another appointment with a different doctor.  I told them what was said and told them I didn't know if it was a scare tactic or if it was realistic. Got an appointment for next thursday and going to find out about both feet this time instead of just the one.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Is it an othopedist or a podiatrist? You need to first deal with the orthopedic problem THEN the podiatry of the foot. All you do to fix the foot is going to be for nothing if you don't go to an orthopedist. 

I'd guess the foot may require a surgery from what you say but, again, that won't help until you fix the problem that is causing it. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

The first one I went to was a podiatrist who worked in an office of orthopedics.  I called another orthopedic doctor who also specializes in podiatry.  I talked to the doctor's assistant (small office) and told her what was going on.  Also mentioned another thing wrong with my other foot and she said that she understands and that surgery MIGHT be an option it shouldn't be even brought up until other options have been exhausted.  She told me my problem SOUNDS like it is from the difference in leg height but was more concerned about what was causing the difference there, whether it was a misalignment of hips, or the actual leg height.  Going to enjoy myself next week.  Now I need to find out how to send my xrays over.

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Glad you clarified on the new doc! I wish you luck!!! Keep us posted on what the new doc says. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN