Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 13 year old dd won't listen to me about sex

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
  • 18 Replies

When ever I try to talk to my 13 year old she gets all flustered and she will be like I know i know how dodo I get her to listen because I don't want her to make the wrong choices also how can aproch to topic to make her fell mor comftable 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenLystly
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM
"i know i know" translates into 2 things: i heard from a very unreliable source that....
Or
She is just too embarrassed so she will say anything to end the conversation.

Start out by saying: we are going to talk for 5 minutes about sex. Make it to the point, and if they know the awkwardness is going to end soon, they are more likely to put up with it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Not nessisarily an unreliable source, I had already had 4 year sex Ed from school at that she.

Quoting KristenLystly:

"i know i know" translates into 2 things: i heard from a very unreliable source that....

Or

She is just too embarrassed so she will say anything to end the conversation.

Start out by saying: we are going to talk for 5 minutes about sex. Make it to the point, and if they know the awkwardness is going to end soon, they are more likely to put up with it.

Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I would suggest buying a copy of the book, Body Scoop for Girls.   I like this book because it was written by a doctor.

Give it to her with the invitation to talk any time about any subject and then just step back and occassionally ask how things are going.

Tcsfan
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

She dose not have sex ed at school she goes to a christain acadmy I believe this year they talked about purity a little 

Tcsfan
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I am kinda worried though that she might be geting it from an unreliable sorce what can I do she some times evens plunges her ears we are very close or we use to be but ever since she started puberty we have talked less and less

momto3B
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Find a third party to communicate with her. Does she have a cousin, a younger aunt, a family friend? Anyone other then you who can deliver your message and speak with her?

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM
I agree to make her sit for a 10 min chat. For one thing it is ongoing. You don't stop. You keep talking until they are at least 18.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
All my sex/ puberty mini talks happen while "trapped" in the car without a phone, game, or radio. She doesn't have to talk, but she'll have no choice to listen... You are driving " the long way" to a store or Ice cream or what ever.
My son has caught on that a serious talk is impending, but he comes willingly knowing there's a carrot at the end.... He also ( I think) enjoys the one on one time.
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Get her a book to read on the subject (check out amazon) and a spiral bound notebook.  Tell her that if she has any questions to write them down and then you will check the notebook periodically and write down the answers.  Talking about the body and sex can be very embarrassing for kids that age. 

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM

When the 2 of you are alone driving somewhere ask her a straight forward question.  Anything from types of birth control she knows about to her personal views on sex before marriage.  Keep asking until you get a converstion going.  I did this with all 3 of my kids (including talking to my son about wet dreams).  The car is a "safe" enviroment; can't make eye contact and must give verbal answers because the driver can't look at you to see if your head is nodding up and down. Don't stop asking and if she says "I know" have her explain exactly what it is she knows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)