Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

School Stress

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM
  • 13 Replies
My almost 14 year old son is failing 8th grade. He is so smart but just doesn't try. He claims he hates school and that it is boring. He has even referred to it as a "prison". I am at my wits end. I have a meeting with his teachers on Thursday as we are going to figure out how we can get his grades up these last nine weeks of school so that he can pass. Any advise would be helpful...
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lakerfan420
by Jamie on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Does his school have an online option? Where he can just do the work and not have to sit through boring classes? I used to be the same way. Super smart yet failed my first 2 years of high school because I didn't want to waste time in class so I just stopped going. Went to a continuation school my junior year and completed 3.5 years of school in 1.5 years (while also pregnant my senior year) and graduated on time with straight A's. I actually enjoyed school once I didn't have to listen to teachers lecture on stuff that naturally came easy for me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell him High School is just around the corner.... but he has to pass 8th to get there.

Mbpeaceful12
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM
I was in your situation last June with my then thirteen-year-old. She thought it was more interesting to talk about Victoria's Secret and mock those students who cared about their future. Things got real when she was told that she would not graduate unless she pulled up that low G.P.A. At the last minute, she was going to tutoring for Pre-Algebra, Science, and Social Studies before school, during nutrition, and lunch. Whenever she complained about having to get up before the crack of dawn, I had to remind her that the situation could've easily been avoided. She ended up going to high school. She is in the ninth grade and doing better; she is in A.P. Biology and English, but her love is Video Production. However, I must stay on her ass; everything is a distraction. She gets angry, but I remember at her age there were children who acted up and for whatever reason were not reprimanded; a couple have died, others are in prison, and there were those who dropped-out and are doing the same things they were doing in the 1990s. I also tell her that she has to set a positive example for her four-year-old sister; how is she going to want her little sister to do great things when she isn't?
christina259
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM

I wish I had some advice but i am in the same boat with my son. it seems a lot of boys this age tend to let thier grades slip so you are not alone. hopefully these gals can give you and me both some ideas on how to get our sons to care enough about thier grades.

suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

maybe he needs a more challenging school or classes ask teacher or have him tested

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My son is in junior high too, and he's complaining that school is boring also. I have to keep on him to make sure he's completing things on time. I check in with him every evening asking about homework in various classes, and it seems to be helpful because sometimes he'll remember homework when he hears the name of the class.

We often talk about the importance of education and how higher education is needed in most more desireable career choices.

vlynn.iowa
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My daughter was similar in 8th grade.  It turns out she was depressed.  You may want to talk to a counselor, a school or outside counselor.  We took advantage of our districts Student assistance program to see a counselor not affiliated with the district.  It hasn't been a smooth ride but she will graduate this spring and has been accepted at a couple of 4 year universities.  Good Luck 

KristenLystly
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Smart kid...It is prison!!!!!! Ugh i hated school too!

Inspire him by: you want your time in prison to be as quick and painless as possible? It's easier to be a good student.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

School is very stressful for the kids today, back in the days school was all about learning and the teachers made it easier on the kids.

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Homeschool. My brother was two years older, hated school, and an attendance officer told him he was making the school look bad because he didnt do well on his standardized tests, would his mother sign him out of school? My mother went in there and chewed the guy up one wall and down another and then pulled my brother out and he finished by an online accredited high school. (For the record, several of the teachers said how great he was-it was his attendance because he hated being there, and his test scores on the FCAT that drew negative attention)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)