Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Doctors "Rights" Edit - extra question

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 AM
  • 117 Replies

Took DD to the doctors this morning because she was suffering from intense period cramps that were managing to make her legs freeze and almost faint on a walk to the shops. When I got to the sugery however I noticed a big sign at the entrance to the offices saying "Once your child reaches the age of 13 they reserve the right to ask you to leave the office during an appointment; your child then reserves the right to accept or deny treatments or medications; and if the surgery feels your child under 16 is mature enough to understand the consequnces they are legally allowed to recieve birth control without your knowledge". Now my DD is 21 and I completely agree for her - but this got me thinking, Is this "right"? Do you allow your children/teens to go to the doctors without you (or DH)? The doctor asked my 9YO DS the other day if he needed me to leave the room and I said "I'm not going anywhere". The doctor was pissed at me before he looked at DS's file and realized he was 9 not older. So what would you do if your doctor asked you to leave the room during your kid's appointment or gave your kid birth control without your permission?

To those of you that have said "not till (insert age)" What would be your reaction if your child either went to the doctors without your permission, OR when the doctor asked your child if they wanted you there they said "no"?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluedolly01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:38 AM
2 moms liked this
I would walk out and go to another Dr office. They are MY child and I have the right to know. What if my teen has an allergic reaction to medication and I don't know what they are taking (and that just the first reason I can think of for me to know what meds are being given to my child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:47 AM

exactly. Although when I said that to the nurse she said by 13 your kid should either know or have on record what they can and can't have medication/allergy wise. And I was thinking - what if they had to go to the ER and I didn't know what medication they were on or birth control and my kid was unconcious and couldn't answer, so I say no and then they give something that  messes up whatever the doctor gave my kid without my knowledge?

Quoting bluedolly01:

I would walk out and go to another Dr office. They are MY child and I have the right to know. What if my teen has an allergic reaction to medication and I don't know what they are taking (and that just the first reason I can think of for me to know what meds are being given to my child.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

In Ma I believe the age is 16. I have boys I didnt feel the need to be in the exam room when they had their physicals once they hit age 12. I did go in before and after to discuss questions, finding etc.

My niece stopped letting her parents in once she turned 16. She has been extremely thin and sick for years. sadly her parents are not allowed to talk with her Dr. Because she will not let them. I think its wrong that if the parent is financially responsible they dont have the right to access the Dr.

bluedolly01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM
My point precisely. My DD does not have a penicillian allergy but we only just discovered about 6 months ago she DOES have an allergy to a specific penicillian medication. If I hadn't known what she was taking I couldn't have possibly helped the Drs.

Not only that but she also had a reaction to a different antibiotic that caused her to present with text book perfect meningitis symptoms, what if I couldn't tell the Drs what meds she was on then?

Quoting GleekingOut:

exactly. Although when I said that to the nurse she said by 13 your kid should either know or have on record what they can and can't have medication/allergy wise. And I was thinking - what if they had to go to the ER and I didn't know what medication they were on or birth control and my kid was unconcious and couldn't answer, so I say no and then they give something that  messes up whatever the doctor gave my kid without my knowledge?

Quoting bluedolly01:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Yeah - see I'm not entirely concerned with DS. If I had concerns I'd send DH in with him. But even with my DD 21 - if I was paying for her appointment - I want to know damn well what I'm paying for. Regardless of whether it's doctor, dentist, anything.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

In Ma I believe the age is 16. I have boys I didnt feel the need to be in the exam room when they had their physicals once they hit age 12. I did go in before and after to discuss questions, finding etc.

My niece stopped letting her parents in once she turned 16. She has been extremely thin and sick for years. sadly her parents are not allowed to talk with her Dr. Because she will not let them. I think its wrong that if the parent is financially responsible they dont have the right to access the Dr.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Well this surgery would say that your DD should know what she can/can't take and what she is/isn't on by now >.< It's so stupid it's not funny.

Quoting bluedolly01:

My point precisely. My DD does not have a penicillian allergy but we only just discovered about 6 months ago she DOES have an allergy to a specific penicillian medication. If I hadn't known what she was taking I couldn't have possibly helped the Drs.

Not only that but she also had a reaction to a different antibiotic that caused her to present with text book perfect meningitis symptoms, what if I couldn't tell the Drs what meds she was on then?

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting bluedolly01:

bluedolly01
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM
And that's the whole reason I would walk straight back out.

My child, my responsibility (until they are 18), and if something goes wrong I damn well will know what my child is taking.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Well this surgery would say that your DD should know what she can/can't take and what she is/isn't on by now >.< It's so stupid it's not funny.

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM

What if though - this was the policy at *every* doctors surgery? hypothetically speaking? I'm just thinking - I don't think them not allowing me in the surgery every time with them warrents a punishment -that sounds a little controlling lol.

Quoting bluedolly01:

And that's the whole reason I would walk straight back out.

My child, my responsibility (until they are 18), and if something goes wrong I damn well will know what my child is taking.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting bluedolly01:

HopesNDreams
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:11 AM
In my state, 14 is the legal age of consent for mental health issues. That means my mentally ill SD was the one making decisions regarding her therapy, meds, and disclosure of information while she was an inpatient. Anything she didn't want us to know, she did not give permission for us to know. If she was mad at us, she did not include us in therapy. If she had wanted to discharge herself, that was her right too.

Our rights? To pay the $30,000 bill and pick her up when they decided she shouldn't stay any longer. The result? She was readmitted for suicidal thoughts and intentions to hurt herself three hours later.

It seems at times that the system wants to damage these kids while 'protecting' them. Then, who has to pay the bill when the child doesn't have necessary medical info and harm is done? The parent!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HopesNDreams
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I would say that, yes, as a teen, as a teen they should know what they are on. However, do they know about the med they were found to be allergic to at age three? How about the category of meds that gave them horrible side effects at age 8? Do they know details of ER trips when they were toddlers?

There are still things that my mom will say 'oh you had that!' and I had no clue.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting GleekingOut:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN