Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice about a pregnant teenager **Clarification**

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is about my little sister, not me. She is 17 and pregnant. She wants an abortion, but our mother is very much against it, she wants her to have the baby, and then our mom will adopt and raise it. How should I handle this?

I wrote this post while I was in a rush on my way to work, so let me clarify. I am supporting my sister fully. I agree with her choice, and I will take her to her appointment for the abortion, drive her home, etc. This post is more about how do I handle the tension between my mother and sister? I know that it isn't really my business, but they've both dragged me into it, and I'm not going to abandon my sister to our mother. 

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Support your sister. It's her body, her choice, and her life, she has to live with it, not your mother. I was in a similar situation. I was 16 and pregnant again, I wanted to abort. Thankfully, my parents were in full support of me, but my sister in law wanted me to do what your mother wanted, have the baby and then let her adopt it. I made my own choice, I had an abortion. My sil didn't speak to me for almost a year afterwards, and still doesn't like me, but it was my choice, my body, and my life, and I made the right choice for me, and for the son I already had, because I, not my sil, had to live with the choice I made. I'm still thankful I did what was right for me, I've never had a single regret. Just be there for your sister, and help her make HER choice.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM

You don't handle it. Sorry, you can support your sister, and try to get your mom to see her side, but at the end of the day this is between your mom and your sister. They have to work this out together.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM
It is your sisters choice. She is 17, not 13. Legally it is up to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zamaria
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally am against abortion, so if it were me, I would encourage her to have the baby and give it up for adoption. If she doesn't want your mom to raise the baby, she can always go through an agency to find parents. After you tell her whatever your thoughts are on it, just be there for her, whether you agree with her choice or not. Whatever she decides to do, it won't be an easy choice for her. She will need someone to be there for her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Quoting luckysevenwow:

You don't handle it. Sorry, you can support your sister, and try to get your mom to see her side, but at the end of the day this is between your mom and your sister. They have to work this out together.

I agree with this.

Lorena
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM
All you can do is support your sister. You can give your sister your opinion but not in a pushy way. Other then that it is her body her choice.
I was opposite I wanted to keep my baby and my mom wanted me to abort him. Now he is 15 and she is so proud of him. He is a great kid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this
You need to support your sister, but I would really encourage her to listen to your mom. Abortion is in my opinion not the way to go, I'm sure your mom has gone into why and I'm afraid it's something your sister may regret forever and a decision she cannot ever take back. Good luck to all of you. Hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

It is your sisters choice. She is 17, not 13. Legally it is up to her.

this

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Support your sister in whatever decision she makes.  Perhaps you can suggest that she and your mother sit down with a social worker or counselor and talk about the situation and all of the options.  Talking to a non biased person may help.

supergirl82
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)