Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens
So Me & My Son Recently Had A Fight He Said I'm Going To Kill Myself Watch. During That Fight He Said It Twice. This Was Not The First Time.

About Two Weeks Ago We Were In Walmart An He Was Trying To Decide On A Face Wash. He Couldn't Make Up His Mind So He Got Mad Threw Them Down An SAid This Is Stupid I Don't Even Want To Change My Face Wash. He Then Walked Away An Said I Just Want To Commit Suicide.

I Then Called A Behavioral Health Center. He Has An Appointment Today. I Feel An Was Also Told By My Teenage Daughter When A Teen Talks Of Suicide You Don't Take That Lightly. He Is So Mad At Me, Saying This Is Stupid An He Can't Believe I Got Him Into This. I Just Told Him That's One Of The Problems Your Always Blaming Me You Need To Take Some Responsibility. I Don't Know What To Do Now I Don't Want Him Hating Me More.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Replies (11-19):
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Great update! You did the right thing by getting him professional help.

How have you been holding up through all of this?

Quoting Baby1809:

So he had another session today, and it seems to of went well.  When we left he said alot of good things were said today. So that sounds good. 

Quoting MrsBLB:

How are things going now?

Quoting Baby1809:

So He Was A Little Upset After counselinG. But I Talked To Him An Explained It Was Nothing To Be Ashamed Of An That I Wanted Him To Just Feel Happy Like A Teen Should. We Talked Some More And Feel He Might Kind Of Understands Me. For Once I Feel A Little Hope. Thank You For Your Support.

Quoting MrsBLB:

You did the right thing.  It's not always easy being a mom.  Hang in there and please keep us posted.  Hugs to you.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My teen hates me every other second. She is not threatening suicide but I take the hate as "good job mom"

Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to choose...do you want him to stop hating him, or do you want to be his parent and act accordingly.  

It is never easy, but tantrums are tantrums no matter what the age and you have to seek an appropriate response.  He also needs to understand that words have real power and he has to start thinking before speaking.

Baby1809
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Quoting Barabell:

To Be Honest I Really Don't Know How I'm Doing. Besides All The Pressure Of This I Have Five Other Kids I Have To Care For. Most Of The Time I Feel Like I'm On An Emotional Roller Coaster. Somedays I Feel Good Others I Feel Down. Actually I Wish That I Could Find Some Counseling For Me That I Could afford. I Continue To Look. But Thank You For Asking.
Janine515
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You definately did the right thing.  There has been situations with my daughter where I have asked myself could I forgive myself if I did nothing and something happened to her. That usually leads me to action. When my daughter threatened to kill herself when we got in fights we called the suicide hotline and were extremely helpful.  They said she was just saying that to get attention and if she really wanted to do it  she would have attempted already.  Therapy is good for everyone!

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Baby1809:

Quoting Barabell:

To Be Honest I Really Don't Know How I'm Doing. Besides All The Pressure Of This I Have Five Other Kids I Have To Care For. Most Of The Time I Feel Like I'm On An Emotional Roller Coaster. Somedays I Feel Good Others I Feel Down. Actually I Wish That I Could Find Some Counseling For Me That I Could afford. I Continue To Look. But Thank You For Asking.

Even if you can't afford counseling, maybe you could treat yourself to a massage or something to pamper yourself. Chair massages can be quite reasonable in price, and it would help releave some stress.

Decemberlov
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Great job getting him a professional to speak with. Personally I haven't dealt with this, and hope I never have to, but I do know that my daughter at 12 was an emotional mess, right before the "change". One think that really seemed to help and keep us close and her confiding in me is that I genuinely knew and told her that "i get it..and being a teenager really sucks sometimes". And it really does...I'm sure all of us wish we could be teenagers again and not have any responsibilites but school work ...but I really think that sometimes we forget just how awkward and awful it can be to be a teen.

Good luck with everything! Wishing the best for the two of you!

PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

One thing I have heard many many times "it's your fault" 

Baby1809
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Thank you! Wishing you the best to that you don't have such a difficult road with your teen!

Quoting Decemberlov:

Great job getting him a professional to speak with. Personally I haven't dealt with this, and hope I never have to, but I do know that my daughter at 12 was an emotional mess, right before the "change". One think that really seemed to help and keep us close and her confiding in me is that I genuinely knew and told her that "i get it..and being a teenager really sucks sometimes". And it really does...I'm sure all of us wish we could be teenagers again and not have any responsibilites but school work ...but I really think that sometimes we forget just how awkward and awful it can be to be a teen.

Good luck with everything! Wishing the best for the two of you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)