Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Moms of 16 & 17 yo boys who drive- insurance question

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM
  • 4 Replies

Where do you live?

What kind of car does your DS drive? Is this the same car that YOU or your DH/SO drive also or is this his very own car?

What insurance company do you have?

Do you have full covereage or just the state minimum?

If state minimum what does that cover?

How much a month do you (or you DS) pay for insurance?

Did he have to have insurance when he had his temps or was he covered under your insurance at this time because he had to drive with a licensed driver?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much it's going to cost me when my DS starts driving! :)

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
drfink
by Emily on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Houston

He and all his siblings were given a family car to drive till during their senior year then we get them a new car to take to college.The car is theirs to drive ,they don't share it with anyone but WE own all cars till college graduation...I pay for car ,gas and insurance it is my car even if they drive it only.My 16 y.o. son is driving a 6 year old loaded suburban ...my old car.

GEICO

No we have been succesful so we carry a lot of liability.We could lose a lot if there was ever a judgement against us so we carry a lot.

I think he is 1800 a year.He has taken Defensive driving ,has good grade discount ,multi car discount and we have been with them for more than 20 years so discount for that also.

No in our state if a teen has a temp permit and is behind the wheel with in the law. We had to inform them but none of my children needed extra coverage with his temp.This applies to everyone.

His ins will go up a lot when he gets his car in two years but so far all of my kids ins. dropped through the floor when they went off to college full time.Apparently we are in a very expensive insurance zone.If a kid lives else where 9 months of the year as a student they apply that area in calculating insurance cost.

tyfry7496
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:53 PM
A 1994 Cavelier. Insurance for liability is about $1400 a year. He's had his license less than a year. I go through American Family.

No insurance while driving on permit but I did have to report when he got it.

I pay for gas and insurance until he goes to college.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:08 AM

geico I called and added my kids to policy as soonas they could drive. some dont but I like to play it save and I also added them to my umbrella policy

PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Here in Michigan the car has to be insured

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN