Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Pranking Would you do this or not?

Posted by   + Show Post

Addition: My friend found out that the txts that were deleted were to a friend (that had already left a friends house) about pranking a teacher that the group saw while out for a walk.  She believes that it was her girls idea since she has gotten in trouble for pranking before. My friend took away txting from her daughters phone but I told her that she should maybe take her phone TOTALLY away.  What would be best since now she found her dd was deleting them for this reason?

A friend of mine has a daughter my dd's age (14) that deleted some txts from her phone. She is talking about taking away her daughters txting plan and I agree with her & said: If you have nothing to hide you hide nothing. Do you agree and would you take away your teens txting plan if he or she did this?  She did it before & her Mom told her if she deleted them again she would take away txting. Personally I think she is right, but she is thinking of giving her another chance.  I say no.

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I knew where mine were. No woods or anywhere to hang.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I had so much trouble with him not having one... And then trying to find him because he had no way to call and we were unsure where he'd go to when he couldn't get a hold of us. He doesn't go to school in the same town where we live, but about 10 miles away and is transported. We live in the country and the kids are often in the woods or at the creek or the lake or building something somewhere. There's no friend and no phone out there. We have to be in contact with them and they have to be able to call for help at any time. 

The 13y/o is also not ours. He's a foster of sorts. This was one way to give him access to talk with his mom and siblings privately and to keep his mom from flipping (which she did) because we have too many phones and she has to call around them to find him. We've given her a main line to talk to him and he also is incontact with his brother who is placed elsewhere and his grown sister. Definitely a convenience for me there. 

Now do they need texting and internet? Nope. I've let them having texting because we had an unlimited text package on our plan. I can control it with the watchdog program. The 13 y/o uses it to talk to his mom, brother and sister. The 15 y/o uses texting to talk to me and DH and that's about it. The 17 y/o uses it with everyone and rarely calls anyone. 

On top of that I can check their location via GPS at any time which is something I couldn't do with the other kids when they were this young and I sure wish I had been able to do. I know where they are and they can't get away with saying "I am at so-and-so's house" and then be elsewhere. And believe me, I pay attention. 

My older children got a phone that would only dial 3 numbers-mine, DH's and 911 when they were this young. Yes, I need mine to have it. It's a safety thing.  

Quoting atlmom2:

Never an issue not having one. So many have them they could borrow if they were desperate. Kids do not need them. They think they do. We all survived and didn't have them as kids.

Quoting MamaSnaps:

If this is her first offense? I'd have a talk with her and give her the chance. 
I have moble watchdog on all 3 of my teens phones so it doesn't matter if they delete of not I get eveyrthing. I think it costs me something stupid like $15 a month for all 3 phones.

I am sorry, but I couldn't live without even my 13 year old having a phone. When he first came to us he didn't have one and it was a real problem for lots of activities and when he is with his mom, etc. There were after school fiasco's where he couldn't call us because no one had a phone. There are no payphones anywhere downtown anymore-remember we live in a TINY TINY town here... They are often out hiking and boarding and no where near a phone. NEED was a huge factor there! Watchdog lets me limit when he can use it,  what he can access and I can locate his phone at any time...  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:01 PM

That makes a big difference. We are a HUGE outdoors family and we don't have much else for them to do but fish or hunt or build a fort or hike or... 
Now when they go with friends? I don't trust them. I know eventually they will try the  "I am staying at ______'s house" and off to God only knows what. They all do it!  

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM

We've been prepaid for DD since she got her first phone at 12. She got her phone taken off her at 14 because (at the time I believed) she was cyber bullying a girl, and when she was 16 I had to take her phone and monitor it because of a complaint that she was stalking someone (but if the guy didn't want to talk to her, why was he responding? talking to her in the hallways, etc.?) this was before smart phones so they didn't have a way to track texts; disable texting, etc. In Australia they've never been able to have tracking programs or have every text sent to an adult, so DD got away with deleting texts. I couldn't take the phone off her because she was a runaway so I had to be able to keep in constant contact with her. DD now has a Iphone that she paid for herself and she claims that she has nothing to hide but she just likes her privacy. I think personally she's worried that if I see her exaggerating her life via text that I will tell her friends that she has no life. I've tried to talk to counsellors about it and they've all said that because she's a 100% responsible for her phone financially and legally - I've got no rights to see anything on it.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Considering the Mom warned her the last time, she should follow through.

bluelola
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:51 AM

NO, if mom is paying for the phone and the plan....no more chances.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 7, 2013 at 3:21 AM
She already gave her a second chance, so yes if not the phone completely then the texting definitely needs to go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't feel the need to check her texts that often to see if she's deleting anything. I do however do random checks and she only deletes when it's full. I stay in contact with he via texts so she needs texting. However if I told her she couldn't delete texts and she did knowing the consequences would be no more texting she would loose texting until I felt I could trust her again.   

PurpleHazey
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I sure would take it away but I wouldn't give it back neither.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

What is watch dog?  Is it only with a certain provider or is it an app or what? U can actually see txts?

Quoting MamaSnaps:

I have moble watchdog on all 3 of my teens phones so it doesn't matter if they delete of not I get eveyrthing. I think it costs me something stupid like $15 a month for all 3 phones.

I am sorry, but I couldn't live without even my 13 year old having a phone. When he first came to us he didn't have one and it was a real problem for lots of activities and when he is with his mom, etc. There were after school fiasco's where he couldn't call us because no one had a phone. There are no payphones anywhere downtown anymore-remember we live in a TINY TINY town here... They are often out hiking and boarding and no where near a phone. NEED was a huge factor there! Watchdog lets me limit when he can use it,  what he can access and I can locate his phone at any time...  

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Is mobile watch dog only with a certain provider or is it an app or what? U can actually see txts?

Quoting MamaSnaps:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)