Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok Mamas I need your opinions!!! Daughter wants to get a......

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
  • 269 Replies
3 moms liked this
Nose piercing... My daughter is going to be 15 next week and has asked me to let her get her nose pierced. She just wants a very small diamond. Now I'm stuck on the fence with this...she's a very smart young lady, totally into her school work and she really doesn't give me any problems except for a messy room like most teenagers. I believe in letting her express herself and having her own personality to a certain extent. I mean its not like she's asking for something really outrageous and maybe its better that she just get it outta her system now that shes young...what do u guys think? What would u do in this situation?? Thanks Ladies!!
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redsalamander73
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM
6 moms liked this

I personally don't like piercings, but we are from a different generation. There are things we did that our parents didn't like, we survived. I think if she's a good girl, you don't have any problems with her I would say let her do it, let her express herself. A small diamond wouldn't be bad, it might be kind of pretty. Good Luck with your decision!

Cindy18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM
8 moms liked this

Nope. Not until she is 18. 

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
No. Not until she's 18.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM
8 moms liked this

I'd do it. I can think of much worse and that can be removed. Anything that is not totally permanent is open to discussion as far as I am concerned. Permanent they can do when they are grown and out of my house. 

BluntlyBlue
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM
9 moms liked this

I think she sounds like an awesome young lady who has her stuff together, so why not let her decide what to do with her body? We need to let out daughters own their bodies froom the start.

Pink.Frosting
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM
12 moms liked this

I don't really like the nose piercing because, honestly, I think it looks like they blew their nose and didn't clean it all off, lol.  But, at the same time, I think it's good to let teens make some decisions like this.  I mean, if she hates it when she's older she can always just take it out and let it grow back up.  I have a 16 year old girl and I've been letting her choose her hair color for 2 years now.  It's usually some kind of deep teal and it looks good. 

I have found that by giving on these kinds of things, they respect you so much more when you do have to lay down the law and say no.  When they know they gets some "yeses" in life and not just a big fat no all the time, it makes it easier for them to accept the no with some measure of grace when it does come.  At least that's been my experience. The kids that get told no to every single little thing they want are usually the ones that end up having more issues.

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I would start my seeing if her school would allow it. If they do I don't see a problem with it.

NYCitymomx3
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm just not into the nose piercing thing.  I've told both my girls how I feel about it and they respect that.  I'm ok with belly rings, hair dying, and tattoos (to a degree), but there's just something about a nose ring I can't get past.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM
3 moms liked this
My daughter had hers done at 12, is not life altering and can be removed with no one ever knowing she had it. Honestly it's not a big deal to me...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM
3 moms liked this

Not until she is 18.    My concern would be that if you allow her to get her nose pierced at 15, what will she want at 16?   Perhaps her eyebrow, or tongue or whatever..... and you will have no valid reason to say no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)