Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Control

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM
  • 38 Replies

HI!  Just joined.  I put my 16yr. old daughter on birth control pills just in case she has sex...I don't want to raise my grandchild!  Any1 else done this?

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MickieK
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Not yet. I have been planning to get her on BC and just found out she has an appt. to get an IUD and my x husbands GF was going to take her without even talking to me about it. Hurt that my daughter did not involve me and pissed that x husband & GF have gone behind my back.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Handing your dd a packet of BC pills "just in case she has sex", is NOT going to prevent her from becoming pregnant.  NO birth control method is 100%, and in the hands of a unmotivated, uneducated kid, the chances of failure skyrocket.

The only way this will work, is if the BC pills are just a SMALL part of a larger, concerted effort, to keep your kid from becoming a teen parent.  Dating should be postponed for as long as possible.  One on one dating should be not occur unless your daughter is mature, thoughtful, doing well in school and motivated to continue her education and better herself.  You should be talking with your daughter continuously about pregnancy, STD's, & how her life would be changed forever by having a child before she is educated, self supporting, and in a stable, mature relationship.  Ask her what she wants to do with her life.  Ask her how that will change if she gets pregnant. 

Tell her that up to 80% of women get HPV today--35% of them from their FIRST SEXUAL ENCOUNTER.  Tell her that HPV causes EVERY SINGLE CASE OF OVARIAN CANCER in women today, and a skyrocketing number of tongue and throat cancers. 

Discuss how she would pay for the delivery, and what she would do if the baby was sick, or disabled.  Discuss how she would support a child--for the next 21 YEARS!!!

Birth control needs to be taken appropriately, and consistently.  Today's lower dose estrogen pills often need to be taken at about the same TIME OF DAY, for the protection to continue.  Other medications, even some over the counter, can change the effectiveness of the pill.  There are a lot of health dangers from the pill.  She should NEVER SMOKE while she is on the pill.  Ideally, the pill should only be taken for the shortest amount of her lifetime as possible, and should always be used with barrier methods to prevent STD's.  You need to sit down with her, and discuss ALL these issues.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM
No with my older 2 I never did just in case. I won't with my 15 year old dd as well. We have very open communication all of my kids and I so I would know if they were having sex. Also birth control has a lot of side effects. However, if I didn't have good communication with my Dd, I may consider it as teen pregnancy isn't an option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Where did you get your facts? HPV is absolutely a prevalent STI that will lead to certain cancers such as cervical, penial, anal, vulvar, mouth cancer it is NOT the cause of every single form of ovarian cancer. Here is a link to ovarian cancer facts http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopics/DiseasesConditions/Cancer/Gynecologic/Ovarian/prevention.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Handing your dd a packet of BC pills "just in case she has sex", is NOT going to prevent her from becoming pregnant.  NO birth control method is 100%, and in the hands of a unmotivated, uneducated kid, the chances of failure skyrocket.

The only way this will work, is if the BC pills are just a SMALL part of a larger, concerted effort, to keep your kid from becoming a teen parent.  Dating should be postponed for as long as possible.  One on one dating should be not occur unless your daughter is mature, thoughtful, doing well in school and motivated to continue her education and better herself.  You should be talking with your daughter continuously about pregnancy, STD's, & how her life would be changed forever by having a child before she is educated, self supporting, and in a stable, mature relationship.  Ask her what she wants to do with her life.  Ask her how that will change if she gets pregnant. 

Tell her that up to 80% of women get HPV today--35% of them from their FIRST SEXUAL ENCOUNTER.  Tell her that HPV causes EVERY SINGLE CASE OF OVARIAN CANCER in women today, and a skyrocketing number of tongue and throat cancers. 

Discuss how she would pay for the delivery, and what she would do if the baby was sick, or disabled.  Discuss how she would support a child--for the next 21 YEARS!!!

Birth control needs to be taken appropriately, and consistently.  Today's lower dose estrogen pills often need to be taken at about the same TIME OF DAY, for the protection to continue.  Other medications, even some over the counter, can change the effectiveness of the pill.  There are a lot of health dangers from the pill.  She should NEVER SMOKE while she is on the pill.  Ideally, the pill should only be taken for the shortest amount of her lifetime as possible, and should always be used with barrier methods to prevent STD's.  You need to sit down with her, and discuss ALL these issues.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Manth
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughters are 17 and 18.  They have no interest in boyfriends just now, too focused on school (my older girl is a second year Engineering student at University, my younger girl is in her last year of High School) and I see no point in them going on the Pill 'just in case they want to have sex'.  I had a terrible time with the Pill, it made me terribly sick (even low dose progesterone only pills made me ill) and I don't want to risk it for them if they don't need it.  After all, half of their genetics is mine and if it made me that ill the odds are it can hurt them, too.  If and when they find themselves in a situation where sex MIGHT be an option I will certainly talk to them about birth control options and if they want the Pill then it's their choice and I will happily help them to get it.

There are lots of other things you MUST be doing to help prevent your daughter becoming a teen mother.  Have open dialogue and actually TALK with her about sex, about relationships, about boys she likes.  Let her know you are there for her and that she can talk to you about anything without you getting mad.  Make sure she has access to condoms as well as pills and make sure she understands that she needs to use those as well for protection against a range of horrible diseases including HIV.  Just relying on the Pill is not enough.  And relying on the boy to provide one is not enough either - if she has them, she can insist on him using one and not get talked into 'just this once it will be alright without it, after all you're on the pill'.  I know a lot of boys don't like condoms but they are a sensible choice for so many reasons to back up the pill.

If her Dad is in the picture, make sure you foster a strong relationship between them.  It's well known that girls who are close to their father and have a good relationship with him are more likely to abstain from teen sex, or at least delay getting into relationships that are that serious.  If she can talk to him about what it's like to be a teenage boy (the ones she is most likely to have sex with) she can understand some of the 'ploys' they use to try and talk a girl into sleeping with him.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM
No, I never did that. My oldest did not have sex till 19. My 19 yo is still a virgin. I would not want them on the pill for no reason. 19 yo has had a boyfriend for 2 years too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Nope my daughter is 17 and will not be on birth control until it's needed.  Right now she doesn't have a boyfriend so there is no reason for her to be on BC.  I have faith and trust in her that when the time comes she will come to me before she needs BC

pdxmum
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for your level headed response to an extremist scaremonger regarding ovarian cancer.  My mother died of ovarian cancer.  She had one sexual partner, did not have HPV.  I see her gynecological oncologist for screening, have had HPV and he could give a rat's ass that I did.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Where did you get your facts? HPV is absolutely a prevalent STI that will lead to certain cancers such as cervical, penial, anal, vulvar, mouth cancer it is NOT the cause of every single form of ovarian cancer. Here is a link to ovarian cancer facts http://m.cdc.gov/en/HealthSafetyTopics/DiseasesConditions/Cancer/Gynecologic/Ovarian/prevention.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM
You are absolutely correct. I misspoke. It causes every case of CERVICAL cancer, not ovarian.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM
It is cervical cancer, not ovarian cancer and yes, it is the cause of most of th cervical cancer. It is causing mouth cancers too, ewwww. The thought of teens giving oral sex is just sickening to me.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)