Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Help needed.... grad party on a non-existent budget!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 26 Replies
My oldest DS graduates next month and I need to plan an open house/grad party on super tight budget!! We had a new baby in january and are down one income. I thought I was doing well getting him his computer for his 18th b-day but I was kind of blind sided by this! I guess I never thought he'd want one as he's one of those kids that never brings friends around out of embarrasment. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this cheaply?? We have a deck, a lg back yard and a fire pit so I thought a later in the day outside party with a bonfire. I need suggestions on cheap food, drinks, decorations etc!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Cheap food is easy.  Hot dogs, but honestly they probably won't want anything so "formal"  Chips, dip, home made chicken wings, sodas, punch is always good (koolaide and sprite) or you can always tell him to have everyone bring 1 thing.

02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Have a pot luck where everyone brings something and you provide the meat.  This way you have a variety of different sides and everyone will like at least one thing there.

Wantn1more
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Good ideas ladies..... keep them coming!!!!!

I also found an HP site to print off free invites which is cool. If anyone knows of how to get strands of clear christmas type lights cheap I'd appreciate it!

leighp1
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM

The best places to look for lights is thrift stores.  I did do a search and found some at Amazon that weren't too expensive, but it would depend on how many you wanted.  You could also look at oriental trading place, they have a lot of graduation stuff.  I will keep you in mind if I find more stuff.

Wantn1more
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Thanks! They are definitely hard to find this time of year. I didn't really see anything on oriental trading co's site. We don't have a lot of lighting in our backyard so I thought I'd wind lights around the deck, down the stairs to the yard, and around a bonzai looking tree we have near our bonfire pit.

Quoting leighp1:

The best places to look for lights is thrift stores.  I did do a search and found some at Amazon that weren't too expensive, but it would depend on how many you wanted.  You could also look at oriental trading place, they have a lot of graduation stuff.  I will keep you in mind if I find more stuff.

CTBmom
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Great ideas so far....I would also check out your local dollar store for paper plates, plastic ware and cups.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM

instead of the christmas type lights you can always do the rope lights as well.  They are easier to find this time of year,(they've become more popular lately for backyards during the summer) if you have a Big Lots/Odd Lots, they may have them. Dollar Tree as well may have them.

Quoting Wantn1more:

Thanks! They are definitely hard to find this time of year. I didn't really see anything on oriental trading co's site. We don't have a lot of lighting in our backyard so I thought I'd wind lights around the deck, down the stairs to the yard, and around a bonzai looking tree we have near our bonfire pit.

Quoting leighp1:

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I can't think of anything that hasn't been suggested.  I keep thinking on it tho.  Good luck and I'm sure he will love whatever you come up with.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Lot's of ideas come to mind.

The first thing is food, if your doing it later you can relax some on the food. The odd's are good that you won't be the only ones holding an open house on that day, and that many of the kids will have already ate their way through a lot of food, so you can keep it simple with trays, chips, and since you are going to have a fire pit hot dogs. Have sticks handy for those who want to heat theirs up, add some condiments and you have a fun night. 

Lightening, there are so many choices. Tiki lights, they can usually be found this time of year at the dollar store, but they are only good for about one use. You can, if your slightly handy, hang jars (mason/pickle/jelly) with tea lights in them on some string. You can be really crative here. You can paint them, leave them clear, add whatever you really want, just wrap some wire along the top and hang from a string. Here's an example...

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM
You can have a party with a cake and a few snacks. People didn't eat much food at my dd's grad parties. We were stuck with a ton of crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN