Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Is it a good or bad idea to let my younger daughter visit her sister in jail?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
  • 27 Replies

her older sister who is 21 is in jail  for the next year, I was wondering if I should allow my other 16 year old daughter to visit her, but I am not sure if I want her to be inside a jail environment. I also hear it is a hassle to get in and you don't even get much time to even speak. Also seeing her sister in jail might be a bad image or influence or maybe even make her want to join her in some weird way to keep her company. She says she wants to visit but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Is it wrong for my to deny her visits or should I let her? If I do take her what should I say to her before we go? When she is with her sister what discussions should they have?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suesues
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I would take her might be a good lesson to stay on the right track in life (only if she wants to go)

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I say let her go. May keep her out of jail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I actually agree with the others.  I think you could use this as a lesson.  If it is hard to get in to see her and you don't get much time, maybe she will see how hard it would be for others to visit her if she made the same mistakes.  I truly believe in scared straight and tough love!! Kids don't seem to understand the ramifications of their mistakes or stupidity.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you go and visit her?  Perhaps you should visit her a few times first so you know all the proceedures and everything.  Then you can decide if she should go.

andersongirl562
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I would I have visited people in jail and the environment really isn't that bad aslo its a good way to let her see what happens when you break the law. To me it was a little scary going through metal detectors and being locked into a room even though I had did nothing wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM
16 is not a little kid, she is old enough to visit her sister and support her sister. She's also old enough to know not to follow her sister. Not to mention that at 16, she's old enough to be behind herself if she breaks the law.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I would let her go.  As the others have said it will allow her to see the consequences of making wrong choices.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Let her go, 16 is more then old enough to deal with the setting. Make sure she has you on her visitors list and make sure to get a list from the jail about what is and isn't appropriate to wear when you visit. They are strict but for good reason.

nuts4scouts
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM

She is 16, she is not a baby. She does not need you to script her conversations with her sister.

Talk to her about how she feels about what her sister did to get put in jail. How she feels about her sister. What she thinks she, and/or the rest of the family can do to help sister.

I would go with her. While 16 is not a baby, prison is not a place you should send her to by herself. She is going to need your emotional support. Also, don't YOU want to see your older daughter too?

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:35 AM

At 16, I would take her. I would think it would more likely scare her straight instead of encourage a negative lifestyle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)