Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4/9 Today is...

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 9 Replies

NATIONAL CHERISH AN ANTIQUE DAY

Celebrated on April 9, it is National Cherish an Antique Day.  Do you have something special that was passed down from your Parents, Grandparents or Great Grandparents?  Today is the day to learn the story and the history behind your treasured antique.

Antiques are often cherished because of their personal emotional connections and the family history of where they came from.

National Cherish an Antique Day also recognizes the quality and uniqueness of the items that were made by hand rather than by machine.

Do you have any antiques that were handed down through your family?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
leighp1
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM

My mom gave me my grandmother's ruby and diamond bracelet.  I am not sure how old it is.  It is very beautiful and I plan on handing it down to my dd.  (though it is hard when you have two dd's and one bracelet).  We also have some necklaces and earrings from my MIL.  She did not "hand them down" to us.  She passed away when my husband was 16 and recently the stepmom gave them to us.  No one knew about them until after my FIL passed away and they found these items in a safe at his office.  Strange, but I plan on passing them down to my girls as well.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM
I have several pieces of jewelry that was my grandmother's. including her wedding rings. I also have my great grandmother's wedding ring. My DH has his grandfather's pocket watch.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HockeyDanceMom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Our dinner table was my great grandmothers and my dresser was my grandmothers.

Wife to Jason (07/10/98), Mommy to Michael James (03/21/00), Madalyn Rose (02/27/03), Emily Grace (01/07/05), Daniel Joseph (01/04/06) & Christopher Thomas (03/21/11).

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Yes, great aunt and uncle's bed. Desk from my Dad's side. Have a few bowls from my dad's side.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

One grandmother has given me some jewelry.

My mom gave me two dressers that were her parent's honeymoon set. I have one in my room, and the other is in my son's room.

drfink
by Emily on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Yes .We have a display cabinet that is several generations old from my maternal gmother's side.A phone table from the 20's from my paternal great grandfather 's side.It was when there was one phone in the house and it sat on it's own table in the front hall.A game table and some serving pieces from all my sides and my husbands side ...we do use them but only I get them out ,wash them and put them up.

Several Oriental rugs from both my family and my husbands family. 

A necklace ,bracelet and earring set in my birthstone from my maternal grandmother 's side.And some of her jewelry.

balagan_imma
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I have my grandmother's Shabbat candlesticks. They were the one thing I desperately wanted from her. They were her mother's and they came over with them from Russia.

I have a samovar from my grandfather's parents. It was one of the few things that my uncle could get from their apartment when great-grandpa died and his step-grandson took everything.

I also have some jewlery from grandma as well, including a diamond brooch, a diamond ring with multiple diamonds, and her wedding ring. And only 1 DD.

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:07 PM

We have dishes, jewelry, and some furniture.

wakymom
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

A baby cradle and a china-head doll.

The doll was my grandmother's.

The cradle was hand-made and my mom and her sister both slept in it as newborns; it's possible their mom slept in it, too, but my mom's not sure. Both my sister and I slept in it, my cousin did, all 3 of my kids, and my 2 nieces. I'm holding on to it until it's needed for the next generation. . . 

From dh's side, we have a shillelagh and a 1st edition book that one of his ancestors wrote.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)