Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I think?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 12 Replies

Yesterday I found the screen out of my DD window and two small rocks propping the window up just a little bit.  I'm afraid she snuck out, but she says she didn't and is mad that I'm accusing her of something she didn't do.  Now I did not see the screen out or rocks in window last week when I went to open her window on a beautiful day to get some air into her room.  What should I think?

Makay's mom

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ForeverLawst
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We've got alarms on all of our windows, so we don't have that problem in our house. My advice is trust but verify. I'd let it slide for now, but I would be attaching a fishingline or something to the window that would let me know if she took the screen out again that she couldn't see. Or go out and buy an alarm for that window and let her know about it. Tell her you trust her and just want to make sure she is safe. 

Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she's hiding something. Her anger is probably an attempt to discourage you from asking more questions or getting to the bottom of the issue.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I think you should be cautious until you can prove she has done something wrong. Buy some of those cheap window alarms and set your mind at ease.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Wake up and check on her. I agree, get a cheap alarm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat4458
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Just curious on how you do the 'fishingline' trick. I've never had a kid sneak out but may be good to have in my arsenal. lol 

Quoting ForeverLawst:

We've got alarms on all of our windows, so we don't have that problem in our house. My advice is trust but verify. I'd let it slide for now, but I would be attaching a fishingline or something to the window that would let me know if she took the screen out again that she couldn't see. Or go out and buy an alarm for that window and let her know about it. Tell her you trust her and just want to make sure she is safe. 

ForeverLawst
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Quoting cat4458:

Just curious on how you do the 'fishingline' trick. I've never had a kid sneak out but may be good to have in my arsenal. lol 

Quoting ForeverLawst:

It's kind of like the hair trick you've probably seen on old James Bond type movies. Attach a fishingline or hair to two ends and you know if they've been broken that the screen has been removed.. or put a small piece of string inside the bottom of the window frame so that if she removes the frame it will fall out and she won't notice it, but you will know. Just don't be obvious about it. Just make sure it's secure enough that it won't blow off in the wind, you don't want to accuse her if she didn't actually do it. 

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Did she give you a reason for why the screen is being propped up by rocks?  I think maybe give her the benefit of the doubt now, but then go get a window alarm that will go off when she opens the window

jojo_star
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I'd believe her for now, I can understand why she would be mad if you are accusing her of something she didn't do especially something like sneaking out. But, if you really think she might have snuck out, just keep an eye on her, maybe get a cheap alarm or check on her during the night. 

MrsBLB
by Missi on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I agree with the others.  

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Flood lights? Idk, actually... Our windows are way too high, but honestly, she may not be doing anything.... On the other hand, I knew teens that would smoke in their room by using the same set up so they could toss it quick and retrieve the evidence the next day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)