Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Advice Needed: Teens & antidepressants?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 25 Replies

Does anyone here have experience with antidepressants and their teen. My 15 year old daughter is just starting to see a therapist for generalized anxiety and depression issues. I don't really want to start her on the pill taking path, but wonder if it's something others found helpful.  Of course,  I will wait and see what her therapist says but I was hoping to learn from mom's who've been there.  Thank you.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I dunno, Im not wild about giving teens anti-depressants.  Anxiety and depression issues are common.  I think therapy is a wonderful idea.  I watched an episode on the news about teens and Anti-depressants.  All of the teens said they felt immediately better as soon as they started taking their meds.  Anti-depressants take at least 30 days before they work (most of them anyways)  my first thought was that the parents did absolutely NO research on the subject, the doctors were being lazy and just handed pills, AND the teens just wanted the attention.  So I would try the counseling long before I would put anyone under 18 on anti-depressants.

kthomasson
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Eh, I'm not wild about it either.  My youngest DD suffered alot from anxiety but did therapy and seems to be okay although she suffers from it still from time to time when she loads herself up too much.  When she does I step in and try to help her talk things out with ways to make it less stressful and that seems to help.

On the other hand my oldest DD has depression and has for awhile,   We tried therapy and that did not help enough as she wouldn't return for more appts. and she was 18 so we couldn't force her.. She flunked her first two semesters of college, gained a ton of weight, withdrew from family and friends, wasn't very hygienic, very anti-social....all the classic signs.  She just started on Wellbutrin last week so we'll see how it goes. 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I would hold off on meds for a while. Therapy may be all she needs. If after a few months you don't see much improvement then try medication.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Sorry, I have no experience.    I would try the natural path first.

ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:35 AM
My 14 yr. old son has pretty bad anxiety and something called dysthymia (sp?), its not true depression, just that feeling of just existing, and he takes prozac and its helped him a lot. The anxiety was really starting to affect him, he could NOT stop worrying. He wants to be on the prozac, he says his quality of life is better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marney.p
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I would give my kids meds if the doctor advised it. But only with a combination of therapy. Perhaps some behaviour therapy, and talking to a good counselor. (shop around for this and find someone she connects with)

msmom118
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you all for your replies.  Her therapist this week does not recommend meds at this time.  They are doing Cogntiive Behavior Therapy with a specific plan in mind.  This is only week 2, but we are optimistic and my daughter feels better just knowing there is a concrete action she can take when the worry or anxiety kicks in.  Will of course be monitoring as therapy continues.  So hard to see your teen struggle.  It seems much harder to be a teen these days than when I was growing up.  Thank you all for your insights.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Buy vitamin B's. Each of them. They help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I'm glad to hear that! CBT works very well for anxiety.

Quoting msmom118:

Thank you all for your replies.  Her therapist this week does not recommend meds at this time.  They are doing Cogntiive Behavior Therapy with a specific plan in mind.  This is only week 2, but we are optimistic and my daughter feels better just knowing there is a concrete action she can take when the worry or anxiety kicks in.  Will of course be monitoring as therapy continues.  So hard to see your teen struggle.  It seems much harder to be a teen these days than when I was growing up.  Thank you all for your insights.

mysticgrl
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Good luck! Reallly...I know that teens are prone to suicidal thoughts when taking anti=deprss. have a watchful eye over ur teen.  good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)