Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 8th grade son grades are just going down but he is so smart help

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

My son has always got A and B been in gate, very smart kid.  This year in 8th grade he just has no interest in school.  He has lost all privelages but doesnt care.  I watch him do the work and he just doesnt turn it in.  I have talked to teachers and counselors and are doing everything they say .  I cant get this kid to turn in work and he falling behind now.  I work I cant walk to every class with him all day to make sure he doing work  What can I do??

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I think some of that is normal for that age. My son is about the same age, and even though he wants to do well in school part of him just doesn't care.

Have you tried talking to your son to see why his attitude has changed? (Most of my son's is dealing with conflicts with teachers.) Have you talked to him about how important it is to his future to work hard on his education now?

sally1973
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We have and he just not interested in certain subjects.  i was that way if I didnt like the subject I did not do well and I still am that way.

MrsBLB
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

If he doesn't want to turn it in, let him fail.  He needs to take responsibility for his actions.

SnapIt
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Some of it comes with age but some of it may be for a reason

Kids who are bullied tend to decline in their studies
I would look into this further

Also
Some parents never think it could be hearing or vision issues too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Has anything changed in his life whether it's at home or socially speaking?  That may give you some clues as to why things are changing. 

sally1973
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM

He is a very happy great kid.  No medical issues.  Not being bullied at all.  Just has no interest in his subjects.  But now when it comes to learning computer networking creating video games restoring and building computer machines.  Taking things apart and fixing them.  The kid is a whiz.  He can ace all his tests in any subject just doesnt wanna di the work or turn it in.  Its very frustrating.  In 4th grade the teacher wanted him to skip a grade because she felt he was bored and not challenged.  I did not do that  maybe I should have

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Take computer, phone, and or video games away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sally1973
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Yes I have taken all those things away.  I was just saying when he was doing well he is great at learning and doing things.  He doesnt really play video games he likes creating them and he learning programming as well creating apps and learning the code very technical  Myself and his father are computer /network engineers.He hasnt had any privelages in over a month.  All he has is a bed pretty much.  It does not bother this child at all.  He loves yard work he loves to help with chores and he has been doing them without allowance.  It does not bother him at all  He still very happy and polite even with all these things gone.  It drives me crazy!!!!!

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Traditional school is very boring and wastes a whole lot of time.  It doesn't work well for the inetellectually weaker students, nor those on the other end. 

Saw this today:   www.indystar.com/article/20110320/LOCAL01/103200369/Genius-work-12-year-old-studying-IUPUI

Oops, that was when he is 12.  He's now 14 and tutors in calculus and other math at a university.

He was labeled and put in special ed as a kid.  His Mom listened to her gut, pulled him out, and this is what he has accomplished so far.

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2013/02/07/teenage-genius-jacob-barnett-wants-you-to-stop-learning-and-start-thinking-in-this-inspiring-tedx-talk/

(Not saying your kid is autistic but could be really smart and he is slipping through the cracks because school only aims toward the unremarkable middle of the Bell curve).

Quoting sally1973:

He is a very happy great kid.  No medical issues.  Not being bullied at all.  Just has no interest in his subjects.  But now when it comes to learning computer networking creating video games restoring and building computer machines.  Taking things apart and fixing them.  The kid is a whiz.  He can ace all his tests in any subject just doesnt wanna di the work or turn it in.  Its very frustrating.  In 4th grade the teacher wanted him to skip a grade because she felt he was bored and not challenged.  I did not do that  maybe I should have

Tinkergirl1997
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I had that problem to. I took s seething away and put privileges on a point system.1 hour of t.v=3points extra. Works fine mine its now in tenth grade and funky starting to grow out of it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)