Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How do you deal with your teens and basic chores? SD knows her room is her responsibility but tonight DH and SD got into it because DH told SD to clean up after dinner. She told him NO, and asked why he didn't do it. He said he had to study and had school work to do. Then she asked why I couldn't do it. DH responded that I was the one who fixed dinner and so she could clean up. She said her role was to eat dinner, not clean up. DH was getting annoyed quick. She continued to argue with him about it for a few more minutes. She is NEVER asked to vacuum and hasn't been asked to clean up the kitchen in MONTHS. There wasn't even a lot to do, put the lids on the left over bowls, put the condiments away, rinse dishes and put them in the dishwasher and then wipe down the kitchen countertops. When she finally did it, it took her a whole 5 minutes.

What chores do you expect your kids to do?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Replies (21-22):
PurpleHazey
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

My kids know what has to be done

Momsalawyer
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I'm in the minority here.  My kids are only expected to make their beds, put dirty clothes in the hamper and bring dishes to the kitchen.  I believe they are busy enough with jobs, friends, school and sports. 

On the other hand, when my work load gets super busy (lawyer) they know they must do whatever "chores" are assigned.  I will be out of town this week in trial, the three big ones are doing the laundry, shopping, cooking, cleaning up and taking care of the 12 year old for the two days I'll be gone and the one day I need before that to prepare.  They will do it, without complaint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)