Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

learner's permit

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

At what age did or will your teen get their permit? what stipulations if any were there?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:15 PM
My oldest is 14.
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Permit means you have to drive with a parent or guardian.  They were both older than 16.  One got their license at 17 and one just before 17.  Our state allows only one teenager in the car for the first 9 months and no driving after 11pm.  I didn't put any extra stipulations except no night driving until they are driven alone or with one friend a while drivinf the day. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:17 PM

PurpleHazey
by Angie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Permit means you have to drive with a parent or guardian.  They were both older than 16.  One got their license at 17 and one just before 17.  Our state allows only one teenager in the car for the first 9 months and no driving after 11pm.  I didn't put any extra stipulations except no night driving until they are driven alone or with one friend a while drivinf the day. 

It is close to the rules here

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

My twin boys have ADHD/Asperger's Syndrome.  They did not display the responsibility level for driving until they were 19.  They are 20 now, going on 21.  They have had their permit and their car for a year.  They will be going to take the driving test sometime toward the end of this month.  We will see how they do.  One shows more potential of passing than the other.  But, they will both eventually pass.

That being said, they go to a community college that is 20 miles from where we live.  So, for the past year, I have been their chauffer.  LOL.  I have made so many friends with all the college kids in the student lounge.  I thought my boys would be embarrassed to have me there and that others would think it was wierd.  But, instead, my table is THE PLACE to be.  The students and I get into some great conversations.  And, the intermingling age groups discover just how much we all really do have in common.  And, my guys are thrilled that their mom is so popular.  It has really helped them come out of their shells.

But, the whole point in that last bit was...I have learned through these kids that there is a huge percentage of teens who have chosen to wait a while before getting their driver's license.  There are numerous reasons.  Traffic is too hectic and scary (I've been driving for 35 years and I feel the same way), insurance costs, vehicle costs, etc.

In my household, it was all about the responsibility level.  If you can't display responsibility in remembering homework and tests and when they're due...then how can I trust you to make the right choices on the road?

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

On his 15th bday, he had it for an entire year, my Dh wanted him to drive through all 4 seasons of weather before he got his license on his 16th bday.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Teens have to be 16 to get their permit here. They have to drive with an adult driver (over 21) for 65 hours and wait at least 6 months before they can take their drivers exam.

We made our dd drive for a year on her permit before she could take her drivers exam. We'll do the same with our sons when they are old enough for permits.

hefferlump
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM
It is 14 years and 8 months in Michigan, and that is when my son started. We moved to California, and he is just 16 and has just got his license. Here they are not allowed to have anyone under 21 in the car with them EVER for the first 12 months. It sucks because he cannot ferry his brother around to his activities. My son is a very good driver right from that very tender age.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
I am really proud of your boys! Thank you for sharing.

I didn't get my drivers license until I was 21. I am 33 now and I still avoid highways.

Quoting specialwingz:

My twin boys have ADHD/Asperger's Syndrome.  They did not display the responsibility level for driving until they were 19.  They are 20 now, going on 21.  They have had their permit and their car for a year.  They will be going to take the driving test sometime toward the end of this month.  We will see how they do.  One shows more potential of passing than the other.  But, they will both eventually pass.

That being said, they go to a community college that is 20 miles from where we live.  So, for the past year, I have been their chauffer.  LOL.  I have made so many friends with all the college kids in the student lounge.  I thought my boys would be embarrassed to have me there and that others would think it was wierd.  But, instead, my table is THE PLACE to be.  The students and I get into some great conversations.  And, the intermingling age groups discover just how much we all really do have in common.  And, my guys are thrilled that their mom is so popular.  It has really helped them come out of their shells.

But, the whole point in that last bit was...I have learned through these kids that there is a huge percentage of teens who have chosen to wait a while before getting their driver's license.  There are numerous reasons.  Traffic is too hectic and scary (I've been driving for 35 years and I feel the same way), insurance costs, vehicle costs, etc.

In my household, it was all about the responsibility level.  If you can't display responsibility in remembering homework and tests and when they're due...then how can I trust you to make the right choices on the road?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Most states allow them to drive siblings. Shocked they are that strict.

Quoting hefferlump:

It is 14 years and 8 months in Michigan, and that is when my son started. We moved to California, and he is just 16 and has just got his license. Here they are not allowed to have anyone under 21 in the car with them EVER for the first 12 months. It sucks because he cannot ferry his brother around to his activities.
My son is a very good driver right from that very tender age.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)