Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Lying

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 15 Replies

I have a 13 year old daughter.The past couple of months i have caught her lying to me.About stupid little things like who her friends are,who her little boyfriend is..I dont want to pick at every litle thing.How do i know what and when i should call her out on thing??

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Lying should ALWAYS be "called out" and exposed for what it is. It is NEVER acceptable to lie and allowing any of her little falsehoods to slip by you is allowing it. 

Now that's not to say that you "call her out" as in confrontational. You need to discuss the lie and why she felt the need to lie and why it's unacceptable. For each little lie tighten the reigns and let her know that you just can't trust someone who is lying about little things with big things. Hopefully she'll feel the pinch. 
If she is lying about friends-that'd be the end of any social networking if you've allowed it. At 13 she shouldn't have a 'little boyfriend' to be lying about.  

3hearts3
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Her little boyfriend is at school and school only....She doesnt date,they dont call(she doesnt have a phone).School only and  i cant go to school and watch her.

chattycassie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I always call my daughter out if I catch her lying, that being said she ALWAYS denies she is lying and it causes drama. I don't care I wont stand for someone to stand and lie to my face.

MJP76
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I always call my children out on lying. Lying is not acceptable. Period.

Stefono
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

do it when you feel it IS important other wise we'de lose are minds, right? I have learned to pick my battles, personally I believe the things I am ment to discuss have a way of showing through in a couple ways so that helps me decide.' ( teen issues in general ) not just lyeing, I believe there are so so so many different teen things!!!! my oldest will be 21 next month , im so proud of her! my next teen will be 14 this month.

02nana07
by Ida on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If you allow little lies where do you draw the line

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Me I would lie right back to her. I would tell her lets go shopping on Saturday for you. Ask her where she would like to go , whats stores, what kinds of clothes she might like etc. When Saturday comes let her get in the car. Drive around for 10 or 15 mins then go home.Park the car get out and go in the house. When she comes in flipping out Ask her how it feels to be lied to ?

3hearts3
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Thats an great idea..

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Me I would lie right back to her. I would tell her lets go shopping on Saturday for you. Ask her where she would like to go , whats stores, what kinds of clothes she might like etc. When Saturday comes let her get in the car. Drive around for 10 or 15 mins then go home.Park the car get out and go in the house. When she comes in flipping out Ask her how it feels to be lied to ?

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM

those seem like rather big things, not little things.

kmur
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM

from recent expierence....if shes lying about the friends its because she knows you wouldnt approve of them and her boyfriend, well, maybe she is scared to tell u about him,...do you have a close bond with her, i mean, can she come to you about ANYTHING and she wont get in trouble or yelled at?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN