Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Tanning

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 21 Replies

I was talking to another parent this morning.She has an 12 year old daughter.She was telling me that her daughter was grounded from this and that.Then she said that she(the daughter)was tanning acouple times a week.It shocked me,I never thought about my 13 year old tanning.What age would u let your teen start tanning??

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I wouldn't. Ever. They'd have to be an adult to do that on their own. I raise my kids to be healthy, and part of that is keeping your skin healthy.

my kids get enough sun in the summer, and my kids have olive complections. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM
My kids are half Italian from their dad's side. My DD was lucky enough to inherit the beautiful olive complexition one time in the sun and the girl is bronze the entire summer. My DS on the other hand has blond hair and blue eyes like me, I have warned him but he's away at college where it rains quite a bit so he does tan before the summer. He's 20 and an adult not much I can do besides speak my peace.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MansfieldMama
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Never.

atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Mine never did till they were legal to do it. Sometime in hs. I discouraged it. Only 1 dd does it and I tell her she is cancer waiting to happen. 20 somethings don't see the real picture. She is 21 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't let a minor tan.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I wouldn't. My sister tanned in college and regrets it now- she has some brown patches on her face from it.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

well Im in so. cal. so the kids go to the beach with friends starting in about jr. high.  Prior to that it is with us moms.  I have sun spots on my face from YEARS with out sun screen... but what did we know back in the stone age when I was a kid.  

My kids, and their friends KNOW to lather up every 1.5-2 hours and we never use anything less than 50... and the good stuff, nothing cheap.  We read ingredients.

Now my sil's kids on the east coast, LIVE in the sun when it is out and never wear more than 15.  Those girls are leathered by the time they are out of high school.

k1kelley
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Never!!

katydon
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I let my DD go when she was 15. She only went a few times.

bluelola
by Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I wouldn't!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)